Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lyte_sparkle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2018, 08:34 PM
    Can an embryo stop growing between week 4-6?
    I have a very weird situation and the reason why I am writing this here is to get someone else's POV on this matter. First I will give a little background information to better understand the situation I am currently in.

I had a normal very easy going first pregnancy with my son 2 years ago. Was on BC pills to regulate my periods before and after my first pregnancy and it worked great. Every 3 weeks on the dot I would get my period. Decided to plan for another baby so I got off the BC pill and started taking prenatals around maybe March-April of this year. Wanted to get my period to start conceiving. My last period was on June 21 2018. Missed my period the following month but I figured my body was adjusting (plus without BC my menstrual cycle would be anywhere from 35-40 days). Did a at home pregnancy test a few times and it always came back negative. Waited a while and then on August 13 I checked again and it was finally a positive reading. I was going on a 2 week vacation so I made an appt with my gyno just to be on the safe side. Got the appt for 3 days later (aug 16). Upon doing a transvaginal ultrasound, my gyno saw the sac but said it was too early to determine anything maybe because I probably ovulated later than expected-I agreed. Went on vacation and after 16 days made an appt again with the gyno. She said nothing was growing and that maybe it was a missed miscarriage. Gave me my options as to how to clean everything out (D&C, cytotec). As she's telling me all this I just cant believe this is happening. At this point again we cant really determine how far along I am, maybe 5-6 weeks?

As I dress to leave, she knocks on the door and tells me she made a mistake and doesn't want to rush into anything just yet but she compared the ultra sound pics from two weeks ago to now and it did grow so to basically wait it out and come back after a week to be sure. I went back after 6 days and she said the same thing again. That the measurements are still the same from 6 days ago and there's no heartbeat so basically I miscarried.

My confusion is, upon doing research the sac doesn't show until at least 5 weeks so I have to be somewhere from 5-7 weeks at the moment. Can the doctor be wrong and it happens to be that I am just too early and it will grow? I opted for the natural miscarriage meaning Ill wait for the body to clean out itself through bleeding/cramping. I have no symptoms of any miscarriage like bleeding, cramping, spotting etc but again everyone's body is different. I gained weight, tender breasts, fatigue, constant hunger, basically everything I had for my first pregnancy minus being nauseous. I just don't know what to believe or do. A part of me thinks it will grow and maybe to give it time but then again since I am doing it the natural way, it can either grow or I can start bleeding, cramping any day and it can clean out itself which is what I am basically doing right now. My other choice was to go get another doctor's opinion.

Thanks for reading my long post but I am just tired of doing research/thinking about this.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 16, 2018, 09:45 PM
    The best test would be a qualitative blood test. This would indicate rising or declining levels of the pregnancy hormone HCG.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Silver maple stop growing! [ 2 Answers ]

Behind my urban apartment building is a five story high, and still growing, silver maple. It is starting to break the concrete wall it is next to. Short of spending thousands to cut it down, which would be a shame, is there a way to stop it growing? Maybe cut into the roots and lop off high big...

X-rays effect on developing embryo during 6th running week [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am pregnant and currently it's the my 6th week running(since last period start day). Just to re-iterate 4th week since conception. All of a sudden I started having rusty sputum on 36th day (since last period start day) and for which I was recommended Chest X-Rays PA view with...

15 and 5'10 and I want to stop growing [ 9 Answers ]

I am about to 15 years old an I'm 5'10 my dad is 6'1 an my mom is 5'7 I want to know how tall ill be

Stop keyloid from growing [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get rid of a keyloid growing

Scab that won't stop growing on her head [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there Am just wondering if anyone has heard of this as it is happening to my daughter and am very worried She fell over in feb and grazed her head. There was no blood but a scab formed. It grew rather big so took her to the nurse and she told me to pull it off. Did that twice...

View more questions Search