Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Smith21000 Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Apr 18, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Smart phone as a modem?
    Can any phone on the market or soon to come be used as a modem for my desktop. If so what type of speeds are we talking about. Thanks!:cool:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 18, 2007, 11:37 AM
    No, they cannot. However, you could get a modem that would allow you to connect using a cellular phone. Standard usage rates would apply.

Apr 18, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Could you give me an example of a cell phone that is capable of this?

Apr 18, 2007, 12:22 PM
    Its not the cell phone, but the modem. But you also need to make sure there is a cable for the modem to the cell phone.

I would be more inclinded to look at the wireless broadband services offered by Cingular, Verizon and others.
    hesmen Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 08:46 AM
    As ScottGem mentioned you want to get the wireless broadband service from your cell phone provider. It's helpful to know which provider you have though, as I could give more information. But what you also need to get with the broadband service is something called "tethering". It's an extra charge a month and lets you utilize your smart phone as a modem for your laptop or desktop computer.

Be careful! If you do NOT purchase the tethering option from your provider and you still find a way to do it, they will disconnect your service right away! They will not allow for that.

May 24, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Sprint is my provider.

May 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Sprint does have a data service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone Modem [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm helping a friend out on her computer. Its very old... and I don't think worth much time or effort, but she wants it working ;) Anyway, I think it's a 400mhz, 256 of standard 32 pin memory, running windows 2000 professional. Its got one of those great big expansion cards that...

Probably not a smart thing but... [ 2 Answers ]

I need to power a camera but there isn't any power near by. It is 2 prong connection. Exactly where I need the power is a speaker cable with the other end right near a wall outlet. I am tempted to connect the speaker cable to a socket and plug to power my camera. Looking at the cable it looks about...

Not too smart [ 1 Answers ]

Can any one tell me where people in Washington DC pay their taxes to.. Is it Maryland. Or?.

View more questions Search