Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stefan5170 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2018, 09:01 PM
    Window AC outlet conversion
    We are renting a condo that has 2 window air conditioners that run on 110v. The condo was wired for 220v window ac's and has dedicated outlets and breaker for this setup. How hard would it be to covert the outlets to 110v to run the newer air conditioners we have. The problem is in the 95+ degree weather we are having, the ac's run constantly and need to since the building is concrete construction and absorbs heat like a sponge. Looking up the outlets they are 220v 15a (as my wife put it, two closed eyes and an open mouth). We would like to stay cool and still be able to watch TV. IS there a step down converter with breaker we could get to simplify things?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2018, 11:11 AM
    Well, in 1984, 110 and 220 became obsolete it is now 120 and 240 VAC. However, couple of issues. (A) This is a rented condo-would you be able to accept the liability of a fire if this would be done improperly? (B) What are the condo regulations regarding doing something like this? Most regulations would require an approval and most likely a qualified electrician if allowed. (C) In order to convert 240 to 120 you would need to run a neutral line as 240 doesn't use a neutral.
    If a device requires 240V, only two ungrounded (hot) conductors are required to supply the device. If a device runs on 120V, one ungrounded (hot) conductor and one grounded (neutral) conductor are needed. Those "closed eyes" are each 120 VAC lines on different phases at 180* off and are for a 30 AMP receptical. Unless you have a wiring diagram, you would need to be sure as to what other outlets might be on the lines you wish to convert. If you already have newer 120VAC AC units, why not just replace the ones you have- Or am I reading this wrong as your post is a bit unclear as to what is currently installed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2018, 12:53 PM
    I will agree, you may be better off, just replacing with smaller 220 units,
    Stefan5170 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2018, 03:12 PM
    Currently we have 2 120v air conditioners. The outlets are not standard 120v. Instead of the prongs being vertical they are horizontal. I don't have a volt meter to see what voltage they are. In the circuit breaker we do have a dedicated breaker for air conditioner, but the standard outlet share the common living room circuit and keep tripping the breaker. I'll see if I can post a photo of the outlets in question to see if that clarifies what's going on
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2018, 08:14 PM
    That is a 240VAC receptacle, 30 AMP. See my first post. NEMA 6-30R
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 30, 2018, 07:02 AM
    I think if you call around to a few electrical outfits it's a simple but fairly costly way to run dedicated lines for you AC's. May even be worth it if you are planning on renting for a decade or so at this condo, but that's between you and the landlord. I doubt he would consider bearing the costs when it's much much simpler to buy units that already fit this condo. You can storage what you have for a future move, or mitigate your costs for this purchase, and simply plug in and be cool, AND watch TV.

I don't think modifying your rented condo because you have the wrong appliance is a viable solution at all, and if you price such a project I am sure you would agree. Unless you are a certified, licensed, EXPERIENCED electrician this is NOT a Do It Yourself project. Personally, I would never again rent an apartment or condo that didn't have central air and heat. Just me though from personal experience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to close parent window after opening the child window as popup of the same page? [ 1 Answers ]

My requirement is to run the .net web application in full screen with taskbar but without minimize, maximize and close buttons. Please. Look at my below code, it does my requirement but parent window not closing. How do I achieve that? if (Convert.ToString(Request.QueryString) == "a") ...

1993 Astro Conversion Van Electronic Window [ 6 Answers ]

Hey there guys and gals! As the tile states, I have a '93" model Chevy Astro conversion van with window issues. Without thinking about the issue regarding the window ran out and bought a brand new motor and installed it. That was rough but fun in many ways. I was able to re-install everything with...

Outlet to Light Conversion [ 2 Answers ]

I have two wooden posts in my backyard and there is an outlet box located on each post that is controlled by a single switch in my house. I removed the outlet box from the first post to install a light instead. I found two wires running into the outlet box. I capped off one of the wires and...

Installing window's onto 2nd hard drive from a computer already running window's? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I Install window's onto 2nd hard drive from a computer already running window's? I fixing a computer for a friend and I need to reinstall windows onto his hard drive but that's all I have is the hard drive... I have 2 computers one running xp and one running me what would be the...

View more questions Search