Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gigi00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Shoplifting penalties in canada
    A friend of mine got caught shoplifting. He was caught in the parking lot of the store he stole from. He refused to go in, but gave the merchandise back to the plain clothes security guard by going back into the store and putting it in a shopping basket. The guard knew him from years before and told him he would let him go as long as he returned the merch. Should he be concerned about charges later? Could they use videotape? Or is he clear because he was told he was okay to leave? What should he do now?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 10:50 AM
    If they let him go without calling the police or having him sign anything he should be fine, they do have the right to charge him though. It's really up to them, they were leniant the first time and it sounds like they were the second time also, if they have video of both incidents then he should really never go to this store again as (depending how many months old the other shoplifting was done) they could charge him for all 3 incidents if he shoplifts again.

But again, if they let him walk away and didn't have him sign anything agreeing to pay a fine or anything then he should be OK.
    gigi00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Oh, this was a one time incident. When he got caught in the parking lot, they made him go back into the store to put the stolen merch into a shopping basket. It happened only one time. Perhaps that's why they let him go...
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 18, 2007, 11:10 AM
    He's clear I used to work in retail, and what you have to remember is that the people working there are not cops they don't care if you are arrested (although they will use the police) the main thing is to recover the stuff. But your "friend" needs to steer clear of this place for awhile, and keep his/your nose clean.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 18, 2007, 11:25 AM
    How long ago did this happen? Most likely he's in the clear. The guard did him a favor. But, if the store found out, the guard might be fired and they will press charges.

All your friend can do is wait it out. The more time that goes by, the less likely he is to be charged.

Apr 18, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    How long ago did this happen? Most likely he's in the clear. The guard did him a favor. But, if the store found out, the guard might be fired and they will press charges.

All your friend can do is wait it out. the more time that goes by, the less likely he is to be charged.

Some co do have a policy of prosecuting everyone. It maintains fairness.

Apr 18, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Yeah I just mean that if a protected class was arrested and a non-protected class was not. There would be a s**t storm. Al Sharpton and all.

Apr 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
    A little off subject but when I used to work at sears, people would steal everything. They caught at least one employee a week stealing, (sometimes more) And the regular shoplifters would steal everything, I once saw a guy put two complete PCs in a shopping cart and walk out the door whear his girlfriend was waiting, and drove off when I told security they had no idea.
    Another time a guy came in took some bolt cutters of the shelf in tools and went up stairs and cut three camcorders loose and left. I have never seen such a "free for all."
    lilz28chevy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 11:08 AM
    Hey guys I got caught shoplifting yesterday now the guard wrote up these papers and said I will get a fine in the mail and that a police officer should be calling me today or tomorrow what should I do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 11:17 AM

I've asked that this be a new thread.

You can do nothing until the Police call and you know what they plan to do - arrest you or not. It's not in your best interest to talk to the Police. Did you confess to the security guard?

You can expect a fine, probation, being banned from the store for a period, a lecture, restitution, just about anything in between - perhaps community service.

You added your message to a thread about Canada. Are you in Canada?
    lilz28chevy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 11:21 AM

Yes I am Canadian I have stolen from zellers the guard has only told me that he will release us because we didn't lie we gave him the item back and all he said was the police will contact us either today or tomorrow and that he will tell us if we will be charged or just warned because its my first time and he also said we will be getting a fine in the mail
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 11:23 AM

I would do nothing until you hear from him - if you are a juvenile, I would tell your parents just in case the Police or store contact them.

And you did confess so if they do charge you, there is a confession on record.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

QDRO and penalties [ 2 Answers ]

My husband wants a divorce. He will need to QDRO part of his 401K to me to buy me out of our house. I will need that money to get my own place. Who has to pay the early withdrawal penalties; him or me? He says there is no penalty involved for either side. Is this true? Barbara

Shoplifting in canada [ 2 Answers ]

I am living in canada and I've been charged with shoplifting and I am under 18. Should I tell my boss at work about this?

Shoplifting Penalties [ 5 Answers ]

So I've just started studying law, I've taken a couple criminal justice classes, but this one has me a little... off. :confused: My boyfriend just recently got a ticket for shoplifting and possession in Colorado. The amount of things shoplifted was under $20.00 and he's a first time offender. He...

401k penalties [ 2 Answers ]

I just lost my job after 32 years... what is the best way to handle my 401k without losing everything to taxes/penalties... I will need to withdraw some money to pay off some debt... answer needed asap thanks

Penalties and interests [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anyway to know from IRS directly how much money you own in interests and penalties for overdue taxes right away without waiting to get a bill in the mail ? I know that there are software that will allow you to calculate estimated penalities and interests but I am talking to know the...

View more questions Search