Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Apr 29, 2018, 01:41 PM
    Copper to stainless connection, issues?
    Are there any compatibility issues (galvanic, corrosion, etc.) when connecting copper plumbing to stainless steel?

I need to replace my water softener’s plastic bypass valve and want to use a metal valve, and Fleck only offers the metal valve in stainless. I know copper to steel pipe requires dielectric unions but not sure about other non-ferrous metals to metal.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2018, 02:05 PM
    Sometimes is depends on the stainless grade and what the fluid is. With water not really an issue. 304 SS is OK, 316 SS is perfect. People commonly use flex stainless to galvanized heat traps but I don't know what grade they are.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Apr 29, 2018, 02:18 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the different grades of stainless from my gearhead days and I thought somewhere it said the valve was 316 but can't find it now. Hopefully the Fleck valve is of good grade stainless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telford Copper Cylinder Tempest Stainless Water Heater Leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I wonder if you could help me please. We have a house which has a Telford Copper Cylinder Tempest Stainless 250 ltr tank. I went into the cupboard today and realised the tank is leaking onto the floor and it seem that the bottom seal all around has rusted and is seeping water? I didn’t even...

Have a leak on a stainless steel to stainless steel connection [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting two pieces of stainless steel piping together and have had nothing but leaks- I have tried pipe thread sealer and teflon tape together and separately but still have a big leak problem. Can anyone offer an explanation?

Dielectric connection Stainless to copper? [ 1 Answers ]

I know that a dielelectric union is required when going from copper to black steel or galvanized steel but is one required going to Stainless Steel? A customer wants full SS ball valves in his copper lines.

Copper or Stainless Steel? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting a new refrigerator - which is best for the ice maker's water line - copper or stainless steel (they both are the same price at Best Buy)? Thanks in advance!

Stainless to copper connections [ 9 Answers ]

I am hooking up a new water heater using stainless steel flexible hoses to copper pipe. Do I need to consider dielectric unions or is this not a problem with stainless?

View more questions Search