Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AMAAT35 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 05:00 AM
    Oxygen Sensors
    This questions is related to oxygen sensors on cars-trucks- Does an oxygen sensor detect lack of oxygen underneath the carriage of a vehicle? Is it possible that an oxygen sensor will cause the engine light to turn on because it is working due to the manifold exhaust being cracked? Thanks
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 03:27 PM
    What happens is the ecm looks at voltages of the o2 sensors. Usually between 0-1V. If it hovers around a half a volt, it's considered happy because it's seeing the o2 from the exhaust it wants to see.
    Now open a crack in the exhaust manifold like you describe, and you are entering more oxygen because it's sucking it in. So, down stream, the o2 sensor sees this and ups the voltage to make the injectors run richer to make up for it. Sometimes it's too much then triggers the CEL on.
    So to answer your question... Yes it does!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vacancy Sensors [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Has anyone wired a Vancancy (or Occupancy) Sensor as 3-Way switches? I purchased a Watt Stopper Model CW-100 Occupancy sensor for a bathroom that is on a 3-way switch. The brochure says that they are not made for 3-way switching but I think it can be done. Thanks

Motion sensors on 3 way switch [ 5 Answers ]

First I apologize for my terminology. I have a switch a the bottom of the stairs and one at the top of the stairs. They both control the same light fixture. I think this is called a 3 way switch? My real question: I bought 2 levition motion switches that state they work with 3 way switches. The...

Oxygen Sensors [ 6 Answers ]

I own a 2002 Nissan Maxima. I recently had a "service engine soon" light come on. The car has approx 49,000 miles on it. I purchased a OBDII diagnostic device which said I had a faulty O2 Sensor on "Bank 1, Sensor 2." There are 4 O2 sensors on this car. All have color coded shielding on the...

View more questions Search