Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jazwaz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2005, 04:01 PM
    Eliminating Laundry Tub In Basement ?
    I just moved into a house with a 'finished' basement. The laundry room right now has a washer draining into one side of the double laundry tub sink by means of a hose.

Sometimes the floor drain backs up or the sink drains slowly as the washer drains.

I would ideally like to eliminate the laundry tub and replace it with a regular kitchen sink as I intend to remodel this room as a kitchen keeping the washer and dryer in place.

Can I replace the existing drain pipe from the tub sink with a dishwasher pipe kit and hook up the washing machine drain hose as you would the dishwasher drain.

My main concern is whether it will cause problems with the floor drain.

Thank you in advance !
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 16, 2005, 05:51 PM
    Eliminating Laundry Tub In Basement
    Quote Originally Posted by jazwaz
    I just moved into a house with a 'finished' basement. The laundry room right now has a washer draining into one side of the double laundry tub sink by means of a hose.

Sometimes the floor drain backs up or the sink drains slowly as the washer drains.

I would ideally like to eliminate the laundry tub and replace it with a regular kitchen sink as I intend to remodel this room as a kitchen keeping the washer and dryer in place.

Can I replace the existing drain pipe from the tub sink with a dishwasher pipe kit and hook up the washing machine drain hose as you would the dishwasher drain.

My main concern is whether or not it will cause problems with the floor drain.

thank you in advance !

Your laundry and floor drain line has a partial clog and should be snaked out from the roof vent before you start anything.
    You can not hook your washer to the laundry tray stub out. There just isn't enough elevation for a washer standpipe. However what you can do is open up the wall and come off the vertical drain of the laundry tray with a 2" "P" trap just off the floor. Then install a stand pipe a inch or so over the rim of the washer. You may then use the laundry tray stubout to pick up your kitchen sink.

3/17/05
    Let me add a bit to the washer hook up. You will come off the vertical vent with a drainage tee. However to get away from the sink stubout you may extend the line from the tee to the washer trap and standpipe by 5 feet horizontally.
    jazwaz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2005, 05:55 PM
    Thank you Tom
    Thank you very much for the quick and informative reply. I really appreciate it. I will let you know how it goes. Seems that a lot of people really appreciate the 50 years of knowledge you have and the time you put into these forums.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Putting in a basement bath and laundry [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a sump and grinder pump in for a basement bath and laundry. I was wondering if I could use the 2" vent pipe from the pump package for the washer and bathroom vanity drain. Any thoughts? use a 3" vent ?

Puppy eliminating in crate [ 3 Answers ]

Our beloved 14 week old golden retriever puppy has been mostly urinating in her crate when left alone. She is completely dry during a 7-8 hour night. The urination (and occasional defacation) occurs despite water being withheld and despite being left in her crate no more than 3-4 hours. She...

Venting basement laundry [ 2 Answers ]

I'm moving my basement laundry, and the kitchen sink/dishwasher above (they share a drain line). I don't think the current setup is correct, and I would like to try to make it correct when I move the drain. Currently... My house was built in the 1920s. It has a single vent stack(?) that...

Installing Utility Sink in Basement Laundry [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a utility sink in my basement laundry. Can I hook the drain into the Stand Pipe for the washer? Or, do I have to hook it into one of the other main waste stacks that drop from the main floor above?

Eliminating pregaps with mp3s in data format [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I'm not a total n00b when it comes 2 this area but of late I've been feeling really dumb and wouldn't mind some help! Im trying 2 burn some mp3 mixsets onto 2 disc in data format, each mixset is in track 4 track format, as in, it's a continuous mix but broken up so as 2 allow u 2 skip from track...

View more questions Search