Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dubravka Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2005, 03:44 PM
    The difference between salary and hourly wages?
    When hiring someone on a permanent basis (full time) what are the pros and cons of the employer paying the employee salary opposed to wages?

Thank you
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Mar 16, 2005, 09:37 PM
    One of the major things is that if you are salary you don't get paid overtime, if you are hourly you get that time and a half if you work over 40 hours a week or how ever the company defines overtime to be. But some companies will give you what is called comp-time. Now that means that say you work 50 hours one week then you can take 10 hours off at a later date. The company that I used to work for had a sup that would work the weekends and it would be a different sup every weekend so no one had to do it all the time and the sup that worked the weekend would get off one or two days the next week to make up for working. Then there are some companies that don't care how many hours you work. Like UPS my father was a sup there for 37 years and there were some times that he would work 13 hour days or longer and it didn't matter. Very few companies give comp-time from my understanding. So I would think about this before you say that you will work for say 30K a year knowing that you are/may work say 60 to 70 hours a week because that is less then 10 an hour especially if they will pay you 15 or 20 an hour that is a big difference.
    dwareporting Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 01:08 AM
    I have been offered an inside sales position at $40,000.00 per year. I was given the choice as to whether I want to be salaried or hourly. Initially while I am learning the job, I may work more than 40 hours per week but I do not expect that to happen very often. My benefits include two weeks paid vacation after a year, a very good health plan which will only cost me $30.00 per month and I will pay $36.00 for dental. After a year I can participate in a 401K plan, however, there is no matching by the employer. Generally there is a bonus given to the employees each year of a few thousand dollars, depending on the success of the company and ones contribution to that success. Are there any benefits either way? Any benefits from a tax perpective?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The difference between salary and hourly wages? [ 2 Answers ]

When hiring someone on a pemanent basis (full time) what are the pros and cons of the employer paying the employee salary opposed to wages? Thank you

Abuse of Exempt (Salary) status [ 1 Answers ]

My husband works for a company that pays him salary. He is a general manager with this company. He is working anywhere from 60 to 70 hours a week. I had read somewhere that if a person is salary that they must work at least 50% of their time doing manager work. He is doing at least 70% of...

Hourly And Salary Difference [ 4 Answers ]

I Should be Salary at my Job But my Boss Still Uses Time against me. I need to know how much paid vacation time, holiday time, and sick leave salary workers should get? By What I mean "my boss uses time agianst me" is that I am salary According to him(I think so he don't have to pay overtime...

What is the difference between salary and wages [ 1 Answers ]

If anyone could give me the answer to this question in a precise manner.the basic difference between salary and wage

Changed from Salary to Hourly Is it right [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I was changed from Salary to Hourly . Management said I was mis-classified 3 years ago. Do I have a right to claim overtime pay for those three years? I worked hard and now they say I should have been Hourly... I live in Mass. Thanks Tony

View more questions Search