Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Feb 23, 2018, 08:36 PM
    Move kitchen sink but hook up to old drain line
    I am considering a kitchen remodel in the next few months and am looking into moving the sink to under the window. It is currently located on an interior wall and the wall I would like to move it to is adjacent to where it currently is and is about 8 feet away. My question is, assuming I could get proper slope for drainage and venting, would it be possible to hook the new drain line up to the old one? I'm trying to avoid running a drain line all the way back to the main drain. The kitchen is over the basement which is finished, but I would be removing the drywall ceiling as needed.

Also, if possible, I was looking for some feedback on PEX for the supply lines. I've read mixed reviews, however it seems like the quickest/easiest install. The rest of the house has copper supply lines. I would like to run these too off the supply lines coming from the old sink location.

Any input is appreciated, thanks for your help!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2018, 08:56 PM
    You need about 2" of drop over 8 ft. for the drain. Are you putting it in an island? Beware of running an S trap through the floor, they are not permitted. For water, PEX is great, but you will need the proper tools to get from Copper to PEX if you use a PEX crimp connection. You could use Shark or Gator bites but they cannot be in a concealed space, walls or ceilings. Venting may or may not be an issue, depending on what you currently have. You may be allowed by local code to use an AAV, you need to check that.

Feb 23, 2018, 09:03 PM
    Thanks for your response. I was going to have the S trap under the new sink location, then run into the floor to hook up with the old drain line. It will be going on a wall.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2018, 07:02 AM
    S trap not allowed. P trap required. Consider an AAV at the new sink.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 25, 2018, 01:04 AM
    If you run 8' of drain, install Air Admittance Vent under the sink. Check with your Inspector if AAV vent is allowed in your area

SharkBite type fittings are certified to be installed in concealed locations ( walls, ceilings, etc - and also under ground). Check with your local inspector if they are allowed by Plumbing Code governing your area

PEX is replacing copper as pipe of choice. Our Liability Insurance just went up by significant percentage, because we still work with copper.

Combine PEX with SharkBite fittings, and you are done in no time

Hope that helps

Milo

Feb 28, 2018, 08:46 AM
    Thanks, appreciate the input. I'll be getting started in a few weeks, I'll let you know how it goes!

Mar 6, 2018, 09:33 PM
    Ok so I removed some drywall from the basement ceiling and did some exploring. I was able to find the sink drain, however the drain starts to run over to the stack immediately after it’s through the kitchen subfloor. If I ran the new drain 8ft with a 2in slope I’d end up under the old drain. I’m assuming there’s no way I’d be able to hook up the new pipe to the old at the point since I would have to go back up, correct?

Another option I as looking at was connecting the new drain to my washer tub drain which then runs into the stack under the basement floor. Would this be feasible/permissible? Thanks!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 7, 2018, 09:05 PM
    You can either:

1. drill holes through floor joists to build up slope ( you need 2x10 joists minimum to drill for 2" pipe )
    2 run drain in the wall, behind kitchen cabinets, then drop it through the floor closer to the main stock

You could connect to washer drain, provided, it is 2" drain. However, we don't like to connect kitchen sink drain to washer drain because kitchen drain is the dirtiest drain in the house, which may make washer to back up

Hope that helps

Milo

Mar 8, 2018, 05:05 PM
    Thanks for your response. I’ll take a little more ceiling down in the basement to see how difficult it’ll be to connect directly to the stack. If it’s too much of a pain I may end up just going with the washer tub option. If that’s the case, I’ll run the drain over to besides the tub, drop it straight down and connect with a t joint. This is all easily accessible in the basement so in the event of an issue I’ll be able to get to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to reroute existing sink drain line to stack in kitchen? [ 4 Answers ]

At present the kitchen sink, drain pipe runs through the centre of the existing lower cupboards to the stack ( our home was built in 1915, therefore the stack is original) we are replacing these lower cupboards, and would like to know how to reroute the drain to the stack without having to run them...

Kitchen Sink Drain - after water has been shut off in kitchen sink [ 0 Answers ]

After water has been shut off in kitchen sink, there is a continuous dripping for about two or three minutes in the drain pipes. It seems to happen only in the winter.

Move kitchen sink drain [ 11 Answers ]

My kitchen sink drain is cast iron. And my problem is, is that it drops down into the basement, below my joists and then does a straight diagonal bee line to the drain stack. Right where it is located is where we walk to get to the washer and dryer and I have to duck because of it. Plus, I want to...

Kitchen Sink Drain Line [ 8 Answers ]

The sink drains down into a P-Trap and then enters a 1 1/2 inch PVC horizontal drain line that runs into the wall. Due to some blockage issues in the immediate area under the sink I'd like to run that horizontal drain line 3 feet before turning downward. Would this be workable? Also, if this...

Move kitchen drain line [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I have a plumbing question. As you can see in the attached image we have a drain for our kitchen sink and dishwasher in an island cabinet in the above floor draining to a 3" pipe in the middle of the basement. I'd like to reroute this to an...

View more questions Search