Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calmond45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2018, 03:53 PM
    What is the marital deduction for a non citizen inheriting the home
    I am a Dutch citizen, married for 47 years to an American citizen. We own our home, which is both our names. All our financial accounts are both our names, except my husband’s IRA and I am the beneficiary.If he dies first, are there marital limitations, and if so, what is the limitation.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2018, 09:25 PM
    Are you in the U.S. or the Netherlands?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2018, 09:29 PM
    ATE. Beat me to that question! What are the financial accounts. How are they worded? Tenants in common? JTROS? Different states have different rules on banking, stocks and bonds. . IRA is Federal, if he dies, you would get the money but you would have to follow federal rules on distributions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marital deduction for green card holders [ 12 Answers ]

If both couple live in the U.S and green card holders, does the marital deduction apply to them, i.e. they can give unlimited gift to each other without triggering any tax implication? If not, is there any annual limitation, thanks?

Marital home [ 7 Answers ]

I live in TN and I got remarried 2 1/2 years ago and I have 5 children from my first marriage and they live with us. My husband and I bought a home 2 years ago and the mortgage is in his name but, I'm listed on the deed. He is retired military and I'm a homemaker and unfortunately we are unable to...

I am inheriting a home in New York. Will I have to pay any taxes on it? [ 2 Answers ]

Are there going to be any taxes due the state of NY upon the inheritance of my family homestead?

Leaving the marital home, what do I need to know? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in the UK and soon to be moving out of the marital home. Unfortunately because my husband and I are in an IVA I think we will both end up in bakcruptcy, and we will default o n the mortgage iva etc. Where do I stand legally? Is there anything I need to know/ do, to make it easier on me and...

View more questions Search