Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Estimating a due date for a cat
    A little cat showed up at my house about 3 weeks ago.
    She was thin but I thought she probably had a home because she wasn't too thin.
    I saw her off and on for the first week, but for 2 weeks now she hasn't left my house. During these 2 weeks, It has become obvious that she is pregnant.
    How far along is a cat when they start showing and how might I determine when she'll have the kittens.
    And any other info you might want to share about pregnant cats would be great too.

Thanks
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Are you sure she is pregnant and doesn't have worms? Swelling belly can be a sign of both. Akae, I know this isn't your cat, are you positive that she doesn't belong to someone in your neighborhood? Is it possible someone dumped her there knowing you are an animal person? Are you willing to take her in a pay for a vet check? It is the only way to know for sure what is going on with her.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Worms in cat can be determined by a rice like piece, or many, on the cats fur at rectum. If these aren't there, it isn't worms.

Swelling belly can be a sign of malnutrition and dehydration, too.

Cats don't take much from you, but you must realize, if she is pregnant, and I think gestation is 3 months for cats (not sure) then you will have a few kittens around you will have to find homes for, and if you decide to keep her, then have her fixed.

If her belly is already swollen, be kind, give her a box and a few old blankets, its probably is almost time for her delivery.
    gizmo_48401 Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Apr 17, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Gestation time for a cat is 63 days they will deliver some can go as longe as 70 days
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Someone probably dumped her out in the neighborhood and she roamed around for a while before picking my place.
    The only reason I'm guessing this is because she comes close to me;
    Unfortunately she's not trusting enough to allow me to pick her up.

Usually, stray cats around here dart off like a bullet when they see a person,
    So I'm thinking she is probably familiar with people, just not very trusting of them.

I did worm her (put it in her food).
    I sit by the food and she'll gradually come over to eat it,
    But backs away when I move - I'm hoping that by doing this she'll realize that I'm not so bad after all.
    She almost lets me touch her now.
    Any tips on that?

She did find a cozy spot in my garage to sleep. I have a cat door on the garage door, so she's been making herself at home in there.
    I put a bed with some receiving blankets in it, but she doesn't go near it.

I'll be taking her to the vet for sure,
    But at the moment I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
    I have a lot of animals myself, each one of them have already had their yearly.
    Jan. was for the dogs / Feb. was for the cats / march was for the horses / April's extra money was family vacation...
    I'm tapped out until the 1st of may.
    No one around here has reasonable payment plans or special deals for strays - I checked.
    And, all the rescue groups are full...

What a shame, you know, all these pore animals...

She doesn't look sickly so I was hoping that it could wait, but then I noticed her looking pregnant.

She'll stretch out and it looks like she's developing milk because they just look full whereas they didn't before.
    Perhaps she is just putting on weight because I'm feeding her.
    If she is pregnant, I am very concerned that she may have them before I can get her to the vet (or even get her to trust me enough to pick her up).

Sorry, I know I'm rambling... so I'll stop, but any advise is greatly appreciated.
    gizmo_48401 Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Apr 18, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Try coaxing her to come to you with some kitty treats or even catnip they can't resist catnip just get her close enough to toucher her and show her you wount hurt her
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 18, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Mrscoltweaver, I wasn't implying worms are out around the anus, I was referring to the tapeworm eggs which resemble pieces of rice stuck to the fur around the anus.
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Well this sweet little kitty is letting me hold her.
    She is purring like a motor.

My husband and I discussed it, and we're going to put her vet bill on our credit card.

So I'll be calling the vet in the morning (Monday).

They will more than likely let me bring her in - always seems to work that way with my other animals...

So I'll know more about her soon...
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Took her in today.
    She had fleas, an upper respiratory infection, and is pregnant...

They tested her for diseases - all were negative.

She's on antibiotics and will get shots/spayed after she has her kittens (probably another 3 weeks)

Then hopefully I'll be able to find her a home and the kittens too.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Thanks Ruby
    I'd love to keep her cause she's a real sweetie, but all the other cats I have were strays too... She looks very similar to my 2 black cats who wondered here about a year and a year and a half ago.
    Maybe all black cats look alike LOL or someone who lives close to here is letting their cat get pregnant over and over...
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 04:37 PM
    That might very well be the problem Akae. Someone, whether she was dumped or is a product of repeated pregnancy, is not being a responsible pet owner. Really pisses me off that people do this to their animals.

Let us know how everything is going honey.
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Thought I'd give an update.

My daughter named her Sparkle.
    She just finished her antibiotics and is looking good.

She likes to lay stretched out on the tile floor.
    I believe she appreciates being in the air conditioning.

I gave her a really nice box but she's not the least bit interested in it.
    She does however like the newspaper recycling bin along with underneath the bathroom sink in the cabinet - she paws it open.
    I've even found her in a suitcase I left open on my closet floor.

I've seen her belly tighten up a few times over the last few days.
    Maybe her body getting ready for delivery?
    She also does a lot of spine twitching and tail flicking.
    Don't really know what that's all about, but she pretty much does it constantly now.
    Name:  1a.JPG
Views: 474
Size:  60.9 KB
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

Apr 28, 2007, 10:10 PM
    She is beautiful!
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 05:55 AM
    What a beautiful little girl! Since you have paid for the vetting, keep in mind that they are usually always willing to answer any follow up questions via the telephone.

Here are a couple of websites that should help you. If any specific questions or concerns pop up, do an internet search. There are so many people and vets on the internet that share their knowledge. You have animals and you have a brain. You know how to filter the good info from the bad.

Taking Care of The Pregnant Cat

Cat Pregnancy - Prepare yourself for ... kittens!

If you are having problems or just want to report back (which we hope you will!), post again.

Thank you for giving this girl and her kittens a chance at having a healthy and comfortable life Akae.
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Thanks!

I did call the vet about the twitching last week and they told me she must have an itch. LOL So I felt pretty foolish.:o :D

Thanks for the great links!!

I'll definitely post another update when she has her kittens:D
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2007, 04:08 AM
    She had her kittens this morning:D
    Everything went well.
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Thanks for letting us know Akae. I am glad everything went smoothly. You are such a dear person for taking on such a responsibility!
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Just wanted to share these little cuties with everyone...
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 439
Size:  76.9 KB

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 435
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 442
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  59.8 KB
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Name:  6.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  62.5 KB

Name:  1girl.JPG
Views: 435
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  3kittens1.JPG
Views: 443
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  1boy.JPG
Views: 444
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  11girl.JPG
Views: 415
Size:  60.9 KB
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Name:  hidding.JPG
Views: 431
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  liyyle worried.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  92.5 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Had sex 6 or 7 days before period due date [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I just want to know if you can get pregnant 7 days before your period is due? The reason I am asking is, I am two days late for my period. All week I have had brown watery discharge then on my day of period that is meant to be due was brownish discharge. No cramping. Had mild sore breast...

Due Date.and Conception. I'm Confused! [ 1 Answers ]

November my period ended on the 7th. December my period also ended on the 7th and most of the time starts on the 4th. My period has been pretty regular for about 2 years on the same dates all the time. Once January came around I hadn’t had my period by the 9th so I took an EPT, it came out...

To-date total based on current date [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to create a forumula that will give a cumulative or "to-date" total that will exclude future months from the total. i.e. ithe point in time is August and I need to show a to-date number Through August only even though September and October are included in The...

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search