Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Apr 17, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Signing the divorce decree
    The Judge in my divorce ordered me to sign the divorce decree prepared by the apposing attorney. She said that I was to sign it or go to jail, so I signed it. While I have no real problem signing my name “seen and objected to”, which I did, it was for a document that I never agreed to and it had stuff that wasn’t even brought up in court. It has many things that I never wanted in it, things that were neither, ordered by the courts, nor in past orders/agreements – things that were never discussed by my ex. Additionally it left out several important things (important to me but not so important to him). Most of which can be “fixed” in a juvenile court but I have to wait 1 year after the entry date before I can address them there.

The order states that we stipulated to a $ amount for the child support—the amount doesn’t even cover daycare for the month. There is no notice to visitation – he can just show up and take the kids when he wants (not that I think he will). It states the children have no health insurance- but they do and I pay all of the premiums, that not included in the support either. The list just goes on and on, but it also has factual errors like the date we were married is wrong, my address is somewhere I never lived, one of the children’s names is spelled incorrect.

My question is what can I do? My attorney states that there are no real grounds for an appeal because nothing is legally wrong; nothing in the order violates the laws in VA. Is it really OK for a Judge to sign off on an “agreed upon” divorce if one of the parties objects?

The Decree was “kicked back” for errors twice, both times I was compelled to sign it again, and I did “Seen and Objected to” it goes back for “final entry” on the 27th.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 01:12 PM
    What is your attorney doing ? Have you objected to it, have you prepared divorce papers and submitted them instead of the ones offered by the other side ? Has your attorney filed motions showing the incorrect informaton in them??

Is your attorney a divorce attorney?
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Apr 17, 2007, 02:27 PM
    The sad part is yes he is a divorce attorney. I have contacted a different attorney, but I don't think that will help at this late date. I'm so lost right now.

I just got papers today stating that he -my ex- is asking for relief because I already filed my taxes claiming both children and on Fed to the judge ordered that my ex could claim one for future years. Yes I know that goes against what the IRS says (I’m the custodial parent) the worse part is he hasn’t seen our children since 2005. The judge didn't want to hear it, so I objected.

Any advice? I already got a new attorney, but I haven’t really talked about it with him in person. Is there something that you think I should do or ask for? Is there anything that I can do?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 18, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Sue your old attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Co-signing [ 7 Answers ]

A friend aked if I would Co-sign for him on a six hundred thousand dollar home because his credit score is below seven hundred. If I did this, what would my legal obligations be. Can I go back a revoke at any time.

Signing rights away [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I'm asking on how to sign my right away I am the father and I don't get to see my kids much and have to pay a lot of money for childsupport which I'm behind on and now they want to thow me in jail when I'm trying. So I would like to just sign my rights away. She is married now and my kids...

Signing Off [ 1 Answers ]

I filled out a paper that said I will drop child support if my ex sign's off on our son. The papers state that he will never have contact with me or my son again. He signed it, and I signed it. Will this hold up in court? Is it legal? Thanks, M:confused:

What do you do if your ex-wife doesn't follow the divorce decree when she files her t [ 2 Answers ]

:mad: As part of our divorce decree, the judge ruled specifically that we were both supposed to claim two of our four children on our taxes. I just found out that my ex-wife claimed all four of the children and submitted electronically. Now, I am worried that when I file my taxes (as...

X-husband defaulting on divorce decree [ 11 Answers ]

My former spouse agreed to pay me 25% (net) of his pending worker's comp claim in our divorce decree. However, he was successful in turning his "pending" comp claim into (2) separate back injuries to keep from paying me an extra $20,000.00. He did this by claiming he "reinjured his back 60 days...

View more questions Search