No signal to monitor and keyboard lights flashing
    Hello

Please help!

I bought a desktop in Nov 06 - it has the following spec:

ASRock Conroe 945G - DVI Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    1 GB Ram
    Audiophile Delta Soundcard

It was all working fine until March when the screen picture started going wobbly. Then it started flickering onto No Signal Or Cable Disconnected. Until finally it is not showing any signal to the monitor at all. I checked the monitor (an old VGA style one) and it works fine on another computer.
    Now the computer just powers up and then starts the keyboard lights (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock) flashing together intermittently. I can also hear what I'm sure is the DVD Drive clicking slowly and I can see the fan is running OK over the processor chip. But that's it!

I have tried unplugging things from the motherboard and re-plugging them in but it doesn't change anything!

Any suggestions or diagnosis would be greatly appreciated!

:confused:
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Have you tried putting another monitor on the computer, if the problem persists this would confirm the error is in the tower.

It could be the video card, if you can swap the video card out of another machine you can test this.
    dave_stalks Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Thanks for reply. It's defintely not the monitor as have tried swapping it over with another computer and testing my current monitor with a laptop and it works fine.

I have my VGA monitor plugged into the onboard blue socket on the PC (Motherboard is ASRock Conroe 945G DVI) so I can't swap the video card as there isn't a separate one. Which is starting to make me wonder if the problem might be the motherboard itself. I hope not!
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 11:55 AM
    In that case, it must be, if the fans are coming on the power supply is fine, it might be that the hard drive is shot, but then you'd at least get something on the screen before it stopped working.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 17, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_stalks
    Hello

Now the computer just powers up and then starts the keyboard lights (Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock) flashing together intermittently. I can also hear what I'm sure is the DVD Drive clicking slowly and I can see the fan is running OK over the processor chip. But that's it!

I have tried unplugging things from the motherboard and re-plugging them in but it doesn't change anything!

Any suggestions or diagnosis would be greatly appreciated!

:confused:
    When the keyboard lights up intermittently as you described, it means it is booting. I guess there is no on-board speaker hooked up? Usually there will be a single beep indicating that booting has started. This can happen even if nothing is displayed on the monitor.

What you need is an external video card. Buy one or borrow. When you plug it in, it should disable the on-board video automatically.

Apr 17, 2007, 12:39 PM
    OK. I'll give that a try.
    Actually whilst typing this... the computer suddenly turned on and booted up as normal except the screen image was all wobbly again - like there was magnetic interference. So am not sure what that would suggest? It was on for about 2 minutes before switching off again and going back to its previous state of keyboard flashing etc...
    I'll get another video card then!
    Or a monitor that fits the DVI socket... (I just read up on that!)

Apr 18, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Someone also suggested re-setting the CMOS?
    Had to look that up - is that removing the battery from the motherboard and then replacing it again?

Apr 18, 2007, 07:35 AM
    That's the easy way. The other way is to look for the cmos reset jumper. Either way, it performs the same function, to reset all bios settings to defaults.

Apr 18, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Hmm... that worked for a bit. The monitor came on and I got into the BIOS settings and changed the clock time and date then saved but then the monitor went back to no signal. The keyboard is currently not flashing.
    Looks like it could be more serious then? Like the MB itself?

Apr 18, 2007, 11:56 AM
    The motherboard should be OK. I'm thinking the on-board video is causing the problem. Get yourself a decent video card, or borrow one. Once the computer is working fine, check if there is an bios update and update it. :)
    deepakshrestha1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 09:56 AM
    I have a p4 computer with u8668-d mother board.
    There is no display,the key board lights are flashing together,and cpu fans are running,no light on power led.
    How can I solve it? Is my mother board OK and the processor?
    doris91 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 06:39 AM
    I tried to reinstate my computer to a earlier date. Upon completion, message on screen said 'pplication failed to start because dnsapi.dll file was not found. Reinstalling file may fix problem My screen remains blank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor and computer flashing yellow light [ 4 Answers ]

My monitor and computer stays in power save mode and I'm stuck at what to do. I've tried shutting the entire system down by turning off everything. It then comes back on green (the monitor) but the computer light remains yellow (flashing). Can someone advise me on what to do PLEASE!!

Frigidaire Dishwasher Lights Flashing [ 2 Answers ]

My Frigidaire Dishwasher model # FDB989RCS0 won't run. Has all of the following lights flashing: Sensing, Washing, Drying, Sanitized, Clean. ANy ideas on what this indicates is wrong ? Thanks

Monitor No signal [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, just yesterday I was on my computer (not the one I'm currently on) and I restarted my computer. As soon as it started to load up again, there was no display on the monitor, just a black screen as if the computer was off. Ive tried disconnecting the wires, I've plugged it into a different...

Flashing Lights! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I was tiring to find out what causes the lights in my house to dim then go back to normal. This happens all day long.. I can't figure it out. Thanks! :p

Flashing lights [ 4 Answers ]

I have used computer and when I turn it on the keyboard lights go crazy. Number lock, Cap lock, Scroll lock lights keep flashing off and on. Is the mother board bad?

View more questions Search