Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lorentz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 10:10 AM
    Selling skills!
    Hi, I'm a beginner in sales. So, I want to learn more about selling skills to be success in this field.
    Please give me some advises.
    wags Posts: 80, Reputation: 4

Apr 18, 2007, 07:14 PM
    I would need more information in order to help you. Industrial sales are different than Retail Sales etc. Generally I would suggest you learn everything you can about the products your selling, and then I would try to learn as much about whomever your selling to. Only when you understand their needs, can you offer solutions (using your products) that will solive those needs. Sales is a very rewarding profession, and one of the highest paid ones also. Good Luck !
    MCS80 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Hi there.

I to am new to the world of sales and have just started understanding the basics involved. I work in a retail store in Australia who specialize in Doors. I agree with Wags and say that the first thing to do is learn as much as you can about the product you are trying to sell, without product knowledge you can not advise the client confidently.

I also recommend that you read a few books on self improvement, i.e. How to win friends and Influence people, written by Dale Carnegie is a great start. You will be dealing with people on a daily basis so you need to learn how to get along with all types and work with them.

In the first month or so, be a sponge and just try to absorb and process information. I have worked in sales for less than a fortnight now and just made my first sale today and have to say it is a great feeling. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but make sure you don't spend all day doing so. Follow a few of the more experienced sales people around and learn from them.

I guess I can't give much more advise of my own as I am also a novice, I wish you all the best and hope you enjoy your new job. I know I do.
    nfacciolo Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Read everything you can about sales as a beginning. Product knowledge will be the key to your success. You must know the product you are selling as well as the people that make it, also you need to know the competition as well as you know your own. I agree with the above answers but to be good at sales you must BECOME A STUDENT OF SALES. For 30 years I made more than most doctors, I studied my profession as much as those doctors did theirs. You cannot succeed in sales without effort. SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE DO THE THINGS THAT UN-SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE DON'T LIKE TO DO. Good Luck
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 02:33 PM
    All of the above are great answers Lorentz.

Listen to them, nothing happens if you don't "work" at it. Those that fail in sales don't: 1. believe in themselves 2. don't believe in their product/services. Or do not put the effort and time into being successful

Be honest and straight forth always and your customers will see this and trust you.

Knowledge breeds confidence.

There is a story about a successful insurance salesman. All his peers were very educated, dapper, attractive, and conceited. He was 5 foot tall, little education, his suit didn't quite fit him well, God was not so kind to him in the looks department, and he had a speech impediment. However he was the leading salesperson each month. He realized his failings and worked to improve everything - especially, he knew he had to work harder than most to be successful and provide a good living for his family.

The other salespeople would show up at the office each morning for the meetings and then at about 10:30 would discuss at which restaurant they would eat lunch and if they got their by 11 - 11:30 they would beat the crowds. Then of course no one would be available until at least 1 pm to talk to. So, by 1:30 or so they would "hit the street." For sure they didn't want to get stuck in the afternoon traffic so it was best to start home by 4 pm.

Our hero; knowing his misgivings, worked to get in as many calls as possible, he knew he had to. Weekly he made 3 times the sales calls as his peers. His close to bid ratio wasn't 1 to 3 or even 1 to 5, but because he made more calls, and applied himself his total sales put him in first place each month.

Sorry if I rambled Lorentz, but knowledge, application of that knowledge, hard work, and a strong desire to be successful can and will place you on top of the pyramid.

Stringer
    tchc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 09:36 AM
    It is very simple. Just be yourself. Look people in the eye and be honest.
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Sep 12, 2007, 01:40 PM
    I can't say that I agree that sales is simple. Being a cashier is simple. Being a salesperson is an art. An art that can take many years to master. As mentioned above it takes a great deal of hard work and dedication. Be prepared to be let down by someone not buying. But use that to your advantage. Breakdown the sale, where did it go wrong, what could you have tried differently? Then apply it for the next time. I guess it's like cooking a fine meal, you keep trying until you hit on what works for you. Good luck. You will know if sales is for you fairly quickly, you have to enjoy the challenge of the sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost Skills [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter has been doing Trampoline and tumbling for 6 years. About 3 weeks ago she was doing a tumbln pass on the floor and over rotated on a back tuck and landed on her back. Now, not only can't she do a back tuck, but she also has lost all her skills on the trampoline. She is barely...

Skills [ 4 Answers ]

I have yo answer this question any help please, Please explain how your experience,skills knowledge and personal qualities meet the requirements of the job you have applied for It's a caretakers job

Test your skills! [ 2 Answers ]

How about this,hard drive works in one laptop,won't work in another? OK< another hard drive works in number two laptop won't work in the first laptop? Laptops are good... :eek: :mad: :confused:

Cross-over skills [ 7 Answers ]

It has long been recognized that skill sets from other sports can aid and enhance one's main sport. Does anyone have experiences to share related to using skills learned from other sports to enhance their main sport?

View more questions Search