Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paul230 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2017, 10:13 AM
    How does a low profile shower drain trap work
    WE have not long moved into this property where we have a 4 piece bathroom remodeled about six years ago with a floor level separate shower. I have been informed that we have a low profile trap. Every so often, about six weeks or so apart we have a smell coming from this shower trap, we use bleach and boiling water to get rid of the smell, which works, but always comes back. There seems to be no problem with the waste flow, sometimes I put the plug in, have a shower (10 minutes or more) and then see how long it takes the waste to drain away, no more than thirty second or so and its all gone. Any thoughts on how we can prevent the smell from returning please.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 14, 2017, 11:01 AM
    The smell will always come back without MAJOR changes, but try cleaning the drain more often than every 6 weeks, maybe once or twice a month may yield better results or LONGER results.

https://www.hunker.com/13421649/how-...er-drain-smell

When it comes to shower odors, the main culprit is soap. You can't stop using soap in the shower, but you can prevent it from building up and becoming a problem by pouring boiling water into the drain once a week. If you forget, and you suspect that soap is building up, dissolve it with an enzyme-based drain cleaner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Drain Trap [ 4 Answers ]

I needed to move my shower drain 2 inches and had to remove the existing 2" PVC. I put together this setup but, being a novice I wasn't 100% comfortable gluing it together. I was looking for expert advice to validate this design. The current drain inlet is where it needs to be located. I'm not...

Shower P trap not under drain [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am attempting to install a shower stall into my basement where there is a roughin. I have hit a few problems in that the roughin drain is inly 1 1/2 inch line not a 2" which the stall drain calls for and also the drain is in the wrong place. I have cut the floor to move the drain to the...

Shower drain trap [ 1 Answers ]

I have removed a bathtub and I'm replacing with a shower. The shower tile installer asked that the new drain be placed in the middle of the floor. There is a heating duct that prevents placing the drain trap directly under the drain. Is there a problem if I run an 8" section of drain pipe to a...

Shower Drain Trap [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a shower where a bathtub used to exist and the shower drain, including reduction fittings require me to drop the existing trap by 2.75inches. Are there any issues having a trap that drops 6inches? Thanks, Adam

Offsetting a shower drain trap? [ 5 Answers ]

A friend is having a shower installed in a second floor bathroom, directly over a stairway landing. The floor joists are only 4" deep, such that a trap under the shower would protrude into the head space in the stairwell. The plumber gave two options: raise the shower floor four inches, such...

View more questions Search