Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ifp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2017, 07:12 AM
    Leaking interior shutoff valve
    Here's my problem, my main shut off valve inside the home (at finished basement) leaks I would like to change it out. It is a 45 degree angled gate valve. I was able to access my curbside shutoff which is about 2-3 ft. below ground surrounded by a 4in. Caste iron pipe. After shining a light down the pipe I can see that the shut off handle is up against the pipe. What can I do? What would a plumber do to change out that interior valve? Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve a backhoe to get to the curbside valve?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 12, 2017, 07:56 AM
    A backhoe to dig a few feet? Use a shovel, and see if that cast iron pipe can be removed. You could also ask the water company how they would go about getting to that valve. Wouldn't be surprised if they had a special tool to make it easy.

Me, I start digging.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2017, 08:19 AM
    I agree with Tal, if its leaking now.. its only going to get worse. I am assuming you snugged down just a little bit on the packing (don't torque it down hard or you WILL make it a lot worse) where the handle comes through and that didn't stop the leak. Sometimes that's all it takes.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2017, 10:56 AM
    Is it leaking at the packing nut or not closing completely? If it is the packing, tighten as Smoothy notes. I have also been able to remove the handle and packing nut and add additional packing even with the water on. If the valve won't shut off, it may be some debris in the bottom groove of the gate valve. If you decide to remove the valve, install an SS ballvalve.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 12, 2017, 05:59 PM
    You can do one of two things:

1. Call Water Co. and ask them to shut water off at the curb. Once you are finished with your repair, call them back to turn it back on. They have a way of doing it, and they should do free of charge
    2. Do as suggested above: excavate it yourself. It is not that deep. Make it a Sunday project.

In any case, no matter what you decide to do, take care of it in timely manner. I would not sleep well knowing I cannot shut off water to my house should emergency leak happen

Hope that helps

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water shutoff thermal expansion valve drain line is leaking [ 2 Answers ]

On my state gas water heater, on the top line inlet, it has an apollo water cutoff valve with thermal expansion drain line out, that drain line is dripping now and puddling up on the floor, why is it doing that now? Never has done that in the past 14 years.

Leaky valve: After the pressure reducer, but before the shutoff valve [ 2 Answers ]

I have a leak on the side of my house. It appears to be a very corroded valve or cap. The location of this leak is after my pressure reducer, but before my main line water shutoff. It appears to be the piping heading into my garage located near the water heater and the washing machine.

Leaking outdoor shutoff valve help [ 4 Answers ]

I have a an outdoor shutoff valve that's leaking and am wondering do I have to fix it or is it the water company's responsibility? It's one of the valves on the line that's coming into the house. Thanks!

Leaking hot water shutoff valve in off position [ 1 Answers ]

Under kitchen sink - leaking hot water shutoff valve (open position) - it seems to be from packing nut. When I try turning off the valve - it leaks and sparys the wall behind.

Supply line leaking at comp fitting on sink shutoff valve [ 5 Answers ]

I'm using the armored flexible water supply lines for my kitchen sink's faucet. The 3/8 fitting attached to the cold water shut-off valve under the sink is dripping. The flex hose's 3/8 connection end has a rubber washer inside the nut that comes into contact with the face of the compression nipple...

View more questions Search