Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmkrugermsncom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2017, 11:46 AM
    Neo-Angle Shower Leaks
    I have a neo-angle shower that leaks. When one turns on the shower to heat up the water a direct stream of water hits the base of the glass panel of the neo-angle shower. On my shower enclosure the glass panel sits in a channel with weep holes on the inside. When the stream of water hits the base of the glass panel water leaks on the outside of the shower. The water is coming over the channel that the glass panel sits in. I would like to fix this by putting a bead of silicon sealant at the intersection of the glass panel and the channel it sit in. I don't know the brand of the shower enclosure, but I haven't seen any installation instructions for any enclosure that is calling for sealant in this area. I believe the water is intended to get into the channel and drain into the shower via the weep holes. The weep holes are not plugged but are partially covered by the glass panel. I believe they are simply overwhelmed by the volume of water entering the channel. Sealing between the channel and the glass panel would be relatively easy. It is a static joint. Little or now thermal movement issues, and the joint doesn't flex like it might if it were sitting on a fiberglass base. Is this a viable fix?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2017, 12:33 PM
    I have a Neo angle shower and the side glass fits into a silicone gasket in the channel. I also used silicone caulk on the inside of the aluminum channel where the side panel sits on the base. Had it in for 13 years and no leak. Did have to change the door gasket but that was an easy fix, got the gasket from HD even though it was not one of their showers. This is a picture of a similar install, mine is brushed aluminum. Note the gasket.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 4, 2017, 02:30 PM
    If you plan on using silicone, you want to make sure the channel is completely dry and free of shampoo and soap residue. Best is if you don't use that bathroom for few days. Before you caulk, take hair dryer and go over the channel to make sure there isn't any trapped moisture. Spray with denaturated alcohol over the area that you will caulk, and wipe clean. Cut tip of caulking tube under 45 degree and the way so you get about 1/8" wide caulk line. Caulk from the outside only. You may spray with denaturated alcohol over the applied bead of caulk and very gently go over it with your finger to give it a slight cove. You should never go two times over the same bead of wet caulk. Let cure for up to 72 hours.

Hope that helps

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My upstairs tile shower leaks to my 1st floor ceiling only when we shower [ 2 Answers ]

My upstairs walk in tile shower leaks to my 1st floor only when we shower

Stopping angle valve leaks [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had all of my angle valves replaced with new ones, along with toilet supply hoses. While the plumber was there, we checked for leaks and did not find any. About an hour later, I found a touch of water leaking from each angle valve. The plumber returned and tightened the valve...

Shower diverter leaks into tub when turned to shower [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace my shower diverter valve since it leaks into the tub significantly when turned to the shower. It's a 3-knob system (hot, diverter, cold) and I don't know the brand. I've gotten the knob off, the surrounding piece off, and one nut off, but I'm not sure what to take off next...

Leaks in Neo Angle shower [ 9 Answers ]

My home (about 8 years old) has a Neo-Angle shower that has been leaking between the base and the metal frame (that holds the glass) that sits on top of it. I've tried removing the caulking both inside and out of the shower, cleaning and drying thoroughly the area before I apply new caulk, but...

View more questions Search