Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PiaffePony Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2017, 11:00 AM
    Devon Energy destroying private road?
    I’m in north Texas and I’m one of 8 property owners on my private road that is 3,475 ft long. 6 of us have lived here 20+ years.

Devon energy purchased the property at the very end of street and covered it with gravel and installed a fracking pond 4-5 years ago. Up until they bought the property, our road was gravel which we easily maintained ourselves with our own tractors and box blades. When Devon moved in, there was sooooo much traffic on our rd that all the dust was hazardous to our health and to our livestock that we pitched a fit and they paved it.

They have semi tankers drive up and down our rd several times a day (most of them going 45mph) down our road. There are huge pot holes and now they are saying that we should all pay to fix our road which is now substantially more expensive because they paved it. 4 of us have businesses on our properties but no where near the vehicle weight and/or frequency they haul.

There is no road maintenance agreement at all. What now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 3, 2017, 11:47 AM
    Get a road maintenance agreement. I could be wrong but a private road is still under the jurisdiction of the city, state, or county. It might be very useful to know since you have a new corporate neighbor, the rights and responsibilities of having a PRIVATE road. Then you would know beforehand how to approach your CORPORATE neighbor.

If your county clerk cannot guide you Code Enforcement CAN, since potholes are a dangerous hazard to people and property, and actionable liability is borne by all of you. Just ask your city/town officials who can be sued if somethin​g negative happens because of those potholes. Doesn't matter if it's a neighbor, friend, or customer either.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2017, 01:46 PM
    1. I could be wrong but a private road is still under the jurisdiction of the city, state, or county.
    2. Depends where you live. In many mountainous areas of N. GA, roads must be built to specific requirements OR, county road maintenance is not provided. Depending on the grade and width, it may become very expensive to build the road to Federal standards. The main road in is marked, "County maintained". When you get to the bridge or side roads, the signs read, " county road maintenance ends here" .We have police and fire protection but, the roads in our neighborhood are under private maintenance contract. We pay $250 per year and the roads, gravel based, are graded and resurfaced every quarter or so, as needed. For the most part, that is sufficient but I sometimes use my 4WD, particularly when loaded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Private road- in need of repair [ 3 Answers ]

We live on a private road which is in desperate need of repair, part of this road been used by a business park and another farming company. The road is so dangerous of pot holes you cannot drive down one side. If a motorbike hit one of these holes I dread to think what would happen. One of the...

Who is responsible for repairs to a private road [ 3 Answers ]

I have been sent a letter from the owner of a retail unit based under our private road asking for the road/ their roof to be repaired as it is causing water damage into the shop. They have give 3 quotes for £60k, £26k and £12k. I would like to know if I'm responsible for this? If so would the...

Unregistered property on private road [ 3 Answers ]

How can you find out who owns a unregistered property on a private road

Shared Private Road [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to know what the legal differences are, if any, between a shared private road and a shared driveway? I have a shared private road and am concerned that the land owner that gave me the easement to put in this private road of which we now both share may try to somehow sell use...

View more questions Search