Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenfurr21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2017, 02:38 PM
    Slow draning tubs
    Both my bathrooms are draining very slowly I've used the plunger I've use the Shop-Vac I've cleaned the outside drains I pulled the garbage disposal off and cleaned it put it back on same with the washer drain my bathtub in my room has two overflows and I messed with them a little bit and it's helped drain a bit this morning I'm wondering if the lever stuck down how would I fix that
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 29, 2017, 04:29 PM
    Hi Jenfurr21

If you have a typical tub drain with lever type mechanism then you would simply unscrew the two flat head (slotted) screws and remove the trip lever assembly... see image

Name:  tubdrain.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  5.5 KB

Once you remove this assembly you can clean the soap/scum/hair and with any luck that will be all you need to do... except reinstall the assembly, of course.

Otherwise, if the drain is still clogged after removing the drain assembly, you may need to snake the drain down through the drain pipe and trap. Please post back if you need help with this, OK?

Good luck!

Mark
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2017, 05:44 PM
    After you get things open, consider converting to pop up or lift and twist drains. I don't think any new houses in Atlanta have levers. Look on line for the details but the kit is $25 or so at Home Depot. Easy conversion and never have the clog issue like with a stuck lever.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 30, 2017, 06:58 AM
    Seems you have done everything but snake your main from a cleanout or roof vent which requires a snake of at least 120 feet. That's if snaking your bath tub P-traps behind the lever face plates, which is typically full of gunky hair, has been tried and failed to correct your drain issues.

I keep a 4 foot snake in the garage for such jobs. Or,

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homeowne...0030/100621924

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZklniOo_4
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 30, 2017, 06:13 PM
    Some lever overflows use large "spring" as plunger. That "spring" catches body hair and after few years slows draining water. I agree with ma0641: upgrade it with "TouchDown" stopper. If you would want to replace entire overflow than I would suggest you use cable-driven overflow, like Geberit

Good luck with your project !

Milo
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Oct 31, 2017, 11:05 AM
    Yes, Milo may be correct; Kohler makes a " clear through " tub drain that has a plunger that looks like a hollow honey dipper. This large spring like device can become clogged with hair...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low to no pressure in tubs. Other hot is OK, just nothing in tubs. Looking for idea [ 2 Answers ]

Have a home 8 years old. 2 of 3 tubs are now with little or no hot water pressure. Adjacent shower in master is OK. Other hot water pressure is as has been. One of tubs is a single valve other is a dual valve. Looking for ideas to check out to resolve Thank you

Acrylic tubs vs fiberglass tubs [ 0 Answers ]

Acrylic tubs vs fiberglass tubs - which is better & why?

The tubs drain and the toilets bubble when the tubs drain. Now the toilets drain slow [ 3 Answers ]

I snaked the tub at the overflow, the tub drains but he toilet bubbles and drains very slowly when flushed. What should I look for?

Why is my condensation tray nt draning [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know why my condensation tray not draining on my central air unit can anyone help?

Hot tubs [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering what could be wrong on a hot tub when the ground breaker will not stay on? We know the breaker itself is not broke, but we don't know what we need to do, can you help?

View more questions Search