Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Raven41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2017, 08:16 AM
    I have a 200 amp direct bury wire and I want to branch off with a 100 amp wire OK
    I have a 200 amp direct bury wire and I want to branch off it with a 100 amp direct bury wire. One electric guy said OK but I am not sure
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 17, 2017, 10:37 AM
    Let me try to understand what you are saying. First you are leaving out quite a bit of information. You have a 200 Amp cable that you want to connect a 100 amp cable too?

Yes you can do that, however, the maximum amperage that could be carried by either cable is roughly 80 Amps.

Your limiting factor is the smallest cable in the circuit, in this case the 100 amp cable.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2017, 04:05 AM
    This type off connection would be governed by the "Tap" rules of the National Electrical Code. Look at 240.21....
    If you really want to do it right you will need to review this or work with someone who is familiar with the rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I properly bury unused elcectic wire? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am remodeling my bathroom. The original heating had electric baseboard. The new heating installed years ago is now oil fired forced hot air. I removed the old electric baseboard and now have an unused wire. What is the safest way of burying this wire? Thanks, Kevin

What size wire do I need to run to get a 100amps. 225ft. using direct burial wire? [ 5 Answers ]

What size wire do I need to run to get a 100amps. 225ft. using direct burial wire coming from a 200amp. Service? Any info. Would be appreciated. Regards, Garry

Can you direct bury electrical wire [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put some electrical plugs around my back yard can I direct bury the romex or do I need to put it in conduit. Can you buy special wire and how deep must the wire be buried.

200A. Do I have to buy special aluminum wire to bury in schedule 40 to my house? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to move the meter base off my house so it will be much more convenient for me to work on the outside of the house. I want to move the meter base to the utility pole about 90 feet from the house and bury the electrical wires between the house and the pole. Currently, there are 3 aluminum...

View more questions Search