Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrh9er Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2005, 01:15 PM
    Tub Drain Leak
    Hello,
    I hope my problem is a simple one... Our house was built in 1978-79, although we have only lived there for 2 1/2 years. About a month ago, water started dripping through our ceiling underneath our tub. I cut out the ceiling (that was the only option to access) and found that the leak was coming out of the top of the coupler between the tee and the trap. The drain/overflow/tee is all plastic (grey in color). I am thinking that after 26 years, there is more to this than just tightening the coupler. Are neoprene rings typically found in these connections? Also, what would be the proper way to seal up the connections (silicone, putty, etc.)? Thanks in advance for your advice!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 14, 2005, 01:24 PM
    Tub Drain Leak
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh9er
    Hello,
    I hope my problem is a simple one... Our house was built in 1978-79, although we have only lived there for 2 1/2 years. About a month ago, water started dripping through our ceiling underneath our tub. I cut out the ceiling (that was the only option to access) and found that the leak was coming out of the top of the coupler between the tee and the trap. The drain/overflow/tee is all plastic (grey in color). I am thinking that after 26 years, there is more to this than just tightening the coupler. Are neoprene rings typically found in these connections? Also, what would be the proper way to seal up the connections (silicone, putty, etc.)? Thanks in advance for your advice!
    That "coupler" is called a compression fitting. I assume you've already attempted to tighten the compression nut and tested agan. That usually fixes the problem. Yes there is a gasket inside the compression nut that may be bad. Unscrew the compression nut and check the washer. If it's bad then replace it but first tighten the nut and see if that don't fix the problem. Cheers, Tom
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Mar 22, 2005, 12:07 AM
    60 lb. torque wrench
    There is a special wrench for tightening no hub bands. It is called a no hub torque wrench. You can get them at a plumbing wholesale house or specialty plumbing retail shop. You should really replace that coupling if you can. The no hub torque wrench looks like a tee and works like a ratchet. I always tighten the fitting until the wrench clicks and then a 1/4 turn more. They work well. Otherwise you never know if you tightened it enough or too much.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2005, 06:46 PM
    Torque Wrench?
    Quote Originally Posted by darrel1953
    There is a special wrench for tightening no hub bands. It is called a no hub torque wrench. You can get them at a plumbing wholesale house or specialty plumbing retail shop. You should really replace that coupling if you can. The no hub torque wrench looks like a tee and works like a ratchet. I always tighten the fitting until the wrench clicks and then a 1/4 turn more. They work well. Otherwise you never know if you tightened it enough or too much.
    =

Darrel, Am I missing something here? Where did No-Hub bands come from?
    The trap raiser connects to the tail piece with a compression fitting not a No-Hub coupling. However you did a great job on describing a No-Hub wrench. Back in the 80's that what we useds in our condos. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower drain leak [ 2 Answers ]

My upstairs fiberglass shower doesn't leak when you run water in it, but leaks when someone is taking a shower. I've checked out all possible leaks and it seems the only thing I can figure out is the floor "gives" with the person's weight. How can I fix this without taking the whole floor out? ...

Leak in PVC Drain Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently refurbished the powder room (1/2 bath) in the main hall of our house. Everything went well until I had to deal with the pedestal sink. After some struggle, I finally got the sink attached properly to the wall and the pedestal bolted to the floor. However, after I turned on the water,...

Drain Joint Leak [ 13 Answers ]

Hi. I'm really grasping here and hoping one of you might be able to help without this costing me a fortune. I have torn walls and ceilings out in my house to find the problem and attempted the hardware store advise to fix it but it didn't work. I have a vertical cast iron drain pipe with a...

Tub drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have tracked down a leak coming from my upstairs tub but I'm not sure what the proper way to repair it is. I'm a big DIYer but I know nothing about plumbing. Here's what I've found: I cut a peek hole in the ceiling below the tub and found that its leaking at the connection between the...

Shower Drain Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 36"x42" fiberglass shower (mfg: Jacuzzi) on the second floor that is leaking from the drain. I have opened up the ceiling on the first floor for access and had a plumber take a look at it. Appaently the problem is caused by a slight movement of the drain when someone steps into the shower...

View more questions Search