Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joemelville Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2017, 06:42 AM
    Can I replace pvc pipe when I am unable to turn off the water supply?
    Extremely urgent!!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2017, 07:34 AM
    No.. you can't glue PVC pipe when its wet or under any pressure. Call a plumber if its urgent. But you should have a shutoff inside your house as well as one at the meter.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 7, 2017, 10:00 AM
    No you cannot, but your local water company can tell you where your shutoff is. Call them.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 7, 2017, 04:10 PM
    Where exactly on your property is that PVC pipe ? What plumbing fixture(s) is that pipe supplying with water ? Is that PVC pipe your water main that connects water meter and main structure ?

Please, explain further

Milo
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2017, 07:57 AM
    You should have a shutoff, Correct answers are above. If My shutoff was buried in Debris, from Hurricane or whatever, and needed to shut off. I would get a 1/4 turn ball valve, get some rain or shine glue(can be used wet)Then install with the Valve open. After glue sets, turn off, do your repair. May not even work. But I would try as opposed to wasting the Water?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 10, 2017, 03:58 PM
    I agree, you can't. There is a shut off, if you go far enough out, to the meter, to the inlet of house or business.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 10, 2017, 04:23 PM
    He can also install SharkBite valve, or coupling, over leaking PVC pipe . They sell them for PVC pipe, too. Easy installation, just push it in - and leaky pipe is fixed

Milo
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 11, 2017, 04:51 AM
    After 3/4 days I am certainly curious how this was solved if it was.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2017, 09:05 AM
    Fr Chuck,
    Can you clarify "You can't"?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I replace PVC water supply pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hot water supply leak under my kitchen sink. It appears limited to two PVC pipes(one coming straight from a metal pipe and the other joints downwards). Can I replace these pipes and if so how do I remove them? Should my local hardware store have what I need?

One water supply, two pipe sizes [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to attach the LG all-in-one washer/condensation dryer to my bathroom water supply. The branch supply into the bathroom uses 3/4" pipe, but the flexible attachment for the sink is 3/8". Is there such a thing a pipe fitting attachment with two heads and a "ball valve", or something, so...

Replace old toilet water supply pipes [ 1 Answers ]

The current pipes are fixed and will not reach the new toilet installed. The new supply line does not look like it will attach at the lower end. Will the shut off on the supply take care of leaking while I work on the line? WIll I need to shut off water to the house? If the new flexible line...

Best buried water supply pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I am converting a detached garage into an apt. What would you recommend for underground supply pipe from house with the following conditions: municipal water water supply, aggressively treated with chlorine- ammonia mix, has been cited as cause of leaks in older copper installations, 3/4" hard...

Unable to turn off outdoor spigot - water still running [ 6 Answers ]

My outdoor spigot will turn on but when I try to turn it off there is still water running. It's a pretty steady flow. Contractors have been at my house power washing & painting. I know they used this spigot, but I can't figure out what they could have done to it to make this happen. My...

View more questions Search