Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radiocowgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2017, 08:52 AM
    Can you use donated money for a project to fund an event to raise more money
    We have been raising money for a playground, can we use some of the money already donated to host an event to raise more money for the playground?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 3, 2017, 11:43 AM
    Usually. Are you a registered 501c3?

The answer is probably yes. Keep track of every single expense, and all receipts. The donors are your strongest critics. When you spend donated money to make more money, you'd better net a worthwhile amount. They are going to want to know!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 4, 2017, 06:13 AM
    Yes, you can use some of the money raised to help pay for the event, assuming the event is specifically about raising money for the play ground. As a ballpark planning figure - it's pretty typical to spend about 10% of the money raised on campaign expenses. The cost for the fund raising event - food, beverages, decorations, flyers, posters, etc. - are valid expenses for a campaign like this.

I do suggest that in your campaign literature you should be up front about how the money raised is being used. For example you might have a list of projects that the money is being raised for with cost estimates, and also include a line item for "fund raising costs."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Raise Money for New Flute HELPP! [ 19 Answers ]

I have been playing the flute for 6 years now and am in my freshman year. I am also in wind ensemble which is good. I still have my flute from 4th grade, which is a Yamaha 221 and I'm getting really bored of it and its sound is't really clear and it sounds really harsh sometimes. Recently when I...

How to legally raise money for a local need [ 5 Answers ]

My name is Beverly Johnston my son's friend was riding his dirtbike on our property and fell and broke his neck and now is unable to move from the neck down. The family hasn't any money and the Mother had to quit her job to care for him.. I want to help by raising funds for them and would like to...

How would I raise money for a needed surgery that ins won't pay for? [ 0 Answers ]

I have what doctors are now calling Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome, however most doctors won't recognize it as a "real" syndrome so insurance companies will not pay. I found a clinic that will relieve the many severe symptoms that I have but the surgery is $5900 and that doesn't include the...

Is it legal to marry only to get money from your inherited trust fund money [ 4 Answers ]

Is it legal to marry some one and get paid for it So that the person can get there inherited money That they were only supposed to get when they get married. The money is in a trust fund and can't be used until this person gets married

View more questions Search