Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Socalstarter Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2017, 08:36 AM
    Fixer ticket
    Hi every one. Let me start by telling you the story. I got a car accident (nothing bad) last month and on the day of the accident I did not have my insurance card on me but my car was insured any way. I got the ticket for no insurance that day. I went to the court room thinking it was a fixer ticket but I was told there that I have to pay 490 dollars truebecause I had no prove of insurance when the accident happened. The person who helped me in the court told me that I must have the prove of insurance in my car or in mme and give it to the police officer when they stop me. Is this true? Thanks for your help
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 2, 2017, 09:02 AM
    It is in Texas and most other places in America. After that it's up to a discretion of the judge. I keep mine in my wallet.
    Socalstarter Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2017, 10:23 AM
    The police has the equipment to check our criminal record in seconds, what about our driving records. Aren't they able to find out if the car is insured? Is there a written law that states the prove of insurance card must be fisically shown?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 2, 2017, 11:44 AM
    Such laws go by state. Of course you can fight them at the state level and if you lose, you can keep going through federal district courts until you get to the US Supreme Court.

(I would fight it! I would use the argument that anyone can fake a paper proof of insurance. And they DO.)

3 years ago I slid on ice over a stone wall and ended up perched on the edge like a seesaw. A cop called in to see if I was insured because the paper proof I had was old. My state doesn't even let you renew your registration without insurance, although of course people let it lapse.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 2, 2017, 11:45 AM
    If a cop ask for your proof of insurance you better have it, and it better be current. That's the law. There are many people who skirt the law and allow their insurance coverage to lapse after they have gotten their required documents for their vehicle. Cops cannot verify private company information, so the onus is on drivers to prove they have the required documents for the cops.

Did the cop find you had fault for the accident in any way? That would be the only way I can see a judge not letting you slide on this. Or he wanted to teach you an expensive lesson.

DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR PROOF OF INSURANCE.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2017, 01:59 PM
    In many states, yes that is the law, that you must carry proof in your car. That is why most people keep it in the glove box.

Normally when you go to court, you show you had insurance, a statement from your car insurance company and your insurance car and the judge will just dismiss it.
    But they do not have to, as most laws are written as "proof" of insurance not insurance
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2017, 06:56 PM
    The only thing they ask for in GA is your DL. That is because we have mandatory insurance and they can tell right away from your tag if you do/do not. I have never been asked to show Proof of Insurance. It would be smart to have in case of an accident, as you found out.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2017, 07:17 AM
    I own a bunch of vehicles... so sometimes I forget to grab the right ones because I can't carry all of them all the time, and leaving them in car is bad idea in case it gets stolen.

But I've always been able to go into police station to show proof later that day in the last 2 I've lived... but then, I guess some States are more strict than others.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 7, 2017, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Socalstarter
    Is there a written law that states the prove of insurance card must be fisically shown?
    As noted by others, it depends on the state. In all states (I believe) you must have a minimum amount of liability insurance. As to whether you must have physical proof of insurance with you: I know in Illinois and NJ you must carry proof of insurance with you, and I suspect most other states are similar. I'm guessing based on your user name that you are from CA, and yes, in CA you are required to carry proof of insurance with you. There is very good reason for this - if you are in an accident with another vehicle the driver of the other vehicle will need your insurance info in order to start his own claims process. The form of the proof varies by state - in NJ you must have an original printed document as issued by the insurer; in IL you are allowed to have a computer print out of a PDF file; in other states they allow proof via smart phone app (I believe CA allows this).

As for the wisdom of leaving the proof in the glove compartment of your car: I have always done that, as I don't see much risk to me if the car is stolen. Same with the car registration.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixer-upper more than I can handle [ 0 Answers ]

I've lived in my 1920 house for 10 yrs. My then-husband was going to take care of home maintenance, but he left in the 2nd yr. so it's all been on my shoulders & with one income. I can handle the mortgage, but the repairs are piling up & I no longer have the time, money, or ability to take care...

Why am I always the fixer? [ 2 Answers ]

I had an argument with my boyfriend, and I don't know what to do. I always open the subject first. When we argue, I'm always the one to step up.

Movie?- Man in diner has lottery ticket/heart attack, people won't help/steal ticket [ 1 Answers ]

People are in a diner. An old man is slumped over in his booth. They think he is dead and look in his wallet and find or take a winning lottery ticket. (Either that or he watches the drawing and then slumps over from excitement/heart attack.) He then wakes up and they knock him out again to...

Speeding ticket wrong date to appear before judge on ticket? [ 9 Answers ]

Got a speeding ticket with the wrong date to appear before the judge. The date I received the ticket was 12-19-10 and the date to appear on or before is 1-12-10. Can it be dismissed?

Speeding ticket in Delaware wrong date of birth and race on ticket [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help out.I got a speeding ticket in Delaware,measure speed 58 mph,posted speed 35 mph and was charge for 40 mph with a total of $65.60, I am from New York I can pay this ticket but there are incorrect date of Birt and my race on the ticket.should I try to beat this ticket and will I...

View more questions Search