Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    too much troubl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2017, 08:29 PM
    Replacing valve body
    Hi...
    A month ago I replaced the valve body in the hall bathtub. Since then, when I turn it on first time each day, the first half-cup of water is brownish. Then it clears. This happens with either tap, hot or cold. This did not happen with the old valve body, nor does it happen anywhere else in the house. I thought it would eventually clear but it has not diminished. I might add, the piping in the house is black iron, and I used a 4inch galvanized pipe inside the spout for the tub. I wonder if this could be an electro-chemical reaction because of the dis-similar metals. I am at a loss.

Thank you.

Phil
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2017, 08:13 AM
    I don't think they are dissimilar metals. I believe you are getting rust from the inside of the pipe. Black iron house water piping? I'm surprised at that, must be a very old install. One thing you can try is to remove the spout, remove the galvanized extension. Go to HD or Lowe's and get a plastic sprinkler riser, same length and try that, they are pipe threaded.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 20, 2017, 06:18 PM
    I agree with the above answer. Yes, I would first look at the spout to make sure it has brass nipple between spout and body of the faucet - not galvanized or black steel pipe, as they are usually the cause of discoloration of water

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taco zone valve 571-2. Water flow not like the arrow in the valve's body. [ 0 Answers ]

I had a Taco zone valve 571-2 installed recently. Later I noticed that the valve is installed with the arrow in body of the valve pointing to the opposite direction of the actual water flow. I called the plumber and he said that this is not a problem and no damage will occur to the valve, the...

When replacing a Body control module in a 1996 Explorer [ 0 Answers ]

I have a replacement from a salvage yard, but have heard that I need to have the dealer program the replacement unit. Is that necessary? It supposedly came from a like equipped explorer, can I try it as is without hurting anything?

Body valve pics [ 4 Answers ]

Can you post several pics of installed body valves in the wall with piping to it?

Replacing shower/tub valve body [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathroom. I need to replace the shower/tub valve body. My galvanized pipes are rusting out. I have a three handle system. Hot, cold and diverter. I have two bathrooms which are built back to back. I have one set of incoming water lines. A previous owner repiped and brought...

Shower valve body [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a new shower in an addition and purchased a new shower kit from Price Pfister. The shower valve is going into a 2x4 wall. The question I have is do they make different sizes of valve bodies because the one I have, when installed according to instructions, will only allow for about...

View more questions Search