Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beandrade77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2017, 01:19 PM
    How do you get rid of the musty smell in the heat pump.
    How do you get rid of the musty smell in the heat pump. It is only there when the air conditioning is on.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2017, 03:26 PM
    I don't think the smell is the heat pump. Otherwise you would smell it when the heat is on. I believe you need to have the evaporator coils cleaned. The coils are always wet when the AC runs and in the summer, hot humid air allows mold and mildew to build up. The water you see dripping outside or in your condensate pump comes from the coils. This is not typically a DIY job since the top front of the air handler must be removed.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 18, 2017, 05:39 AM
    Get a qualified person to inspect and probably clean your system. It should be done BEFORE you turn on your AC for the cooling season. This does include vents and ducts throughout your home. When was the last time you did this routine preventive maintenance?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burning smell from heat pump [ 0 Answers ]

A little history- A couple of years ago we had trouble with this same thing. I had a guy come out and he showed me a burned relay. He bypassed the relay and the fan was left running continuously, which was fine. I paid him for the call and he said they would call me with a price for the relay...

Musty smell from new trane ac/heat pump not constant [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We had a new trane 5 ton two compressor ac/heat pump installed last Sept. 26. About two weeks ago we noticed a really strong, musty smell coming from the vents. It was a hot day, over 90, and my husband had had the unit in the fan on all the time setting. The smell is only there when the...

Musty smell only when AC is running, Not Heat [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this! Because of the fluctuating weather, we had to turn on the heat in our daughter's rooms last week. Well, this week it was back in the 70's and we turned the AC back on to find a STINKY, MUSTY smell coming out of the vents and stinking up their...

Heat pump + hot iron smell [ 1 Answers ]

We are having a snowy, cold NC day. Suddenly, our heat pump started blowing air that smells like a hot iron. Any suggestions?

Smell from a/c heat pump [ 1 Answers ]

We had a new a/c heat pump put in last summer. On and off, we notice a smell from the vent, only when it start either cool or hot air. This is an electric unit, so no gas. Any idea on what the smell might be? What to look and check. Thanks.

View more questions Search