Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wendell knight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2017, 05:45 AM
    Helpless plumber lol
    Can I run a tee on wrought iron pipe at point of entry to house on outside of wall for lp gas wall heater. Is it safe?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2017, 10:37 AM
    Commonly done for gas lines to a grill. My house has one, steel pipe through house wall, T to grill, straight goes to gas FP. Safe if done properly. All pipe must be threaded and any connectors must be threaded or flare fitting, no compression. All threaded pipe and fittings must be made up with "approved pipe joint material, insoluble in the presence of fuel gas and applied to the male threads only". You use the term "wrought iron pipe". Some places interchange the term wrought and black steel piping. They are different. You also need a gas shutoff valve, properly installed.

"Accessible shutoff valves shall be installed in the fuel supply piping outside of each appliance and ahead of the union connection thereto, and in addition to any valve on the appliance. Shutoff valve shall be within 3 ft. of the appliance it serves and in the same room or space. UPC 1211.15."
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 13, 2017, 02:12 PM
    Just make sure you make that connection on your side of the gas meter. As explained in above response, yes, you can T off from and run new branch. Few things to remember: The original pipe has to be sized right to accept new gas fixtures. If not, you will have to upgraded. Check for leaks before you activate your new installation. If pipe less than 6" from the ground, you have to use factory coated pipe, and all fitting and short nipples wrapped with 10mm wrap , treated with primer. Lastly, each gas fixture has to have its own shut off valve, before it reaches the fixtures

Lastly, and most importantly: you have to be licensed to work with gas

Good luck with your project !

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Helpless [ 0 Answers ]

Yo people! Its about a song I don't even remember a word of The video goes like a guy in a club and people dancing all inthere.He has a note in his hand while he's sitting on thecounter where they servedrinks. One of the girls dancing is blonde.. wildly The video girl hasblack hair and she...

I feel helpless and alone what can I do? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've never done this before but I thought id give it a go. Anyway my problem is I've been with my partner for 7years, it can be quite a turbulant relationship with many arguments. I absolutely love him to bits however recently things have become so difficult. I work full time and my partner...

I'm so helpless. [ 2 Answers ]

Okay my further back answerers know my whole story about how I grew up with this guy and how he cheated on me, hurt me and made one of the biggest scars on my relationship memories.. but now I'm back and well.. now we're dating again. As you can tell I obviously have no self respect for myself.. I...

Helpless and hopeless [ 3 Answers ]

I recently loss my parents I am in my mid forties .I cannot get out of this downward slide I am abusing precrip drugs food and alcohol I feel like theirs no tomorrow everybody says ill snap out of it but its been 7months helpppp me

Helpless but not hopeless [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer that will under no circumstances access the internet. I've checked anti-virus, firewall settings... It keeps telling me that the ping command is in use by another program, but I for the life of me can not narrow it down to which one. I've tried the following: Ping Ipconfig...

View more questions Search