Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coachjimb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2017, 12:06 AM
    Hot water heater recirculating valve should be open?
    My hot water heater was drained by a plumber today because of discolored water. I can't contact him now and the water is lukewarm. I noticed the valve between the exhaust/drain faucet and the recirculator pump is closed. Should it be open? Is that what is preventing the water from getting hot?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 12, 2017, 06:33 AM
    Hi Coachjimb

The hot water recirculator shut off valve is normally in the open position, but it being open or closed will not PREVENT water from getting hot. What a closed circulating loop will do is to DELAY the availability of hot water to fixtures... especially ones far away from the hot water heating source, right?

First, confirm you are getting hot water by running hot water only from the faucet closest to the hot water source... could take a minute or so. Once you confirm hot water is being made, you can rest assured that you have hot water being made and can then, most likely, just open the recirculator shut off valve and hopefully, all is fixed. If this fails to resolve the problem, call the plumber back in to fix the issue(s).

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water recirculating pump vs inline tankless heater [ 2 Answers ]

My home has three bathrooms about fifty feet from the water heater. I would like to have instant hot water in those baths, but am confused regarding what would be the best option. To save money and water I would be happy with a system I could control (on or off or timers). Not looking for a...

Leaking hot water heater drain valve after new brass valve installed [ 2 Answers ]

I had a leaking (plastic) drain valve on my GE hot water heater. It was leaking from the inside of the valve. The small rubber washer was crimped. I installed a new brass drain valve that I purchased from home depot using teflon tape. The valve now leaks from the threads of the tank/valve. I...

Water heater Recirculating line leak [ 4 Answers ]

I am buying a new home and the inspector saw damages to the water heater (black burn marks on the inside insulation and a little water damage). The sellers hired a plumber to look at this. Below is the plumber's notes on the invoice. -Investigated water heater leak found to be recirculating...

Tankless Water Heater and Recirculating Pump [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace my water heater with a Bosch AquaStar 1600H NG (Natural Gas) tankless water heater. Our hot water system has a recirculating pump, and, according to Bosch, the Bosch AquaStar 1600H NG system ignites the burners when water is flowing. My question is, will the recirculating pump...

View more questions Search