Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lenoirleon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2017, 06:33 AM
    Changed temperature on hot water heater
    I changed the temperature setting on my hot water heater without turning the power off first. Is this going to cause a problem for me?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2017, 07:12 AM
    No. Since you mentioned "power" I will assume it is electric. Be careful, that is 240 volts there!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 8, 2017, 07:25 AM
    My question is WHY you are changing it? What kind of system do you have? Electric, gas? You can review these videos for knowledge and insights, but since you have done it already and didn't shock yourself consider yourself lucky depending on what kind of thermostat your hot water heater has.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...il&FORM=VIREHT

My rule of thumb, anytime you have a screw to adjust make sure there is no power to the unit. If your water heater has a knob for temperature adjustment then no safety issue.

So why did you adjust the temperature on your water heater? Up, or down?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 8, 2017, 03:15 PM
    I usually turn mine down in summer. This year I forgot. In winter, heat is quickly lost from the basement to the faucets, so I keep it a bit higher.
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Aug 13, 2017, 05:15 AM
    lenoirleon,
    Perhaps. Tank type water heaters should have a minimum thermostat setting of 135 degrees Fahrenheit; this temp setting will prevent the growth of Legionella bacteria. An approved thermostatic tempering valve should be installed on the outlet piping and set to prevent scalding water from reaching fixtures & faucets in residential properties...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to adjust temperature on an electric water heater? [ 3 Answers ]

I took a shower today and the hot water turned to cold in only 2 or 3 minutes. I'm assuming that the water heater needs to be adjusted. I want to know how to do that or what else could be causing the water to go cold faster?

State Select Water heater temperature [ 2 Answers ]

We just moved into a condo and the water temperature isn't hot enough. I opened up both upper and lower access panels, and they both have styrofoam panels glued over the controls. Is it okay to cut through those panels to get to the controls?

Changed Hot Water Heater, Now very little hot water pressure. [ 4 Answers ]

Just replaced my water heater, now the kitchen faucet and the master shower gets very low hot water pressure. What is going on?All other sinks/faucets get fine water pressure both hot and cold.

HOT WATER HEATER w/all parts changed at least once [ 13 Answers ]

This 40 gallon hot water heater refuses to go back to work! It all started two days ago, we had little hot water. I changed the Thermostats, both Element, Each at least twice. So yesterday day I tried one more time, and still ended With same results. I changed both elements, Filled the Tank...

Hot water heater temperature [ 3 Answers ]

What temperature should I set my hot water heater?

View more questions Search