Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Guz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2017, 07:19 PM
    Briggs and Stratton 15.5 engine cranks but won't start
    I have B&S 15.5 engine on a Poulon 4000. Engine was running very rough and had no power. I changed out the carg and now only cranks and won' t start.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2017, 02:38 PM
    1. Make sure no water in gas tank.
    2. Replace spark plug.
    3. Be sure you are getting gas from the fuel line at the carb.
    4. Check to be sure you are getting a good, blue spark. If not, then start looking at the multitude of safety electrical cut-off switches.
    5. Check the irritating (my opinion) gas cut off at the bottom of the carb bowl to make sure it is not stuck and not letting gas up to the jet.

These are all the relatively simple things I can come up. Beyond that, I'd run a compression test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs and stratton engine will not start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lawn tractor with a 14.4 briggs engine. I had to replace the ring gear because of a defective starter. It was running before I did the repair. It is getting spark but does not seem to be getting fuel. It used to have lots of fuel when cranking without spark plug being installed. Now...

Briggs & stratton 19.5 hp engine won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Have a craftsman 19.5 H I/C Platinum engine. Sat outside for 3 years. Tried to bench start it with a new 12volt battery (engine is not in the tractor). Engine turns over one slow revolution at a time. Cleaned all: contacts, carb, plugs, air filter, fuel filter. Won't start. What can the...

What causes a 15.5 Briggs & Stratton engine to not start? [ 4 Answers ]

My Sears mower has a 15.5 briggs and stratton engine that is 6 years old and is having trouble starting. Sometimes when I turn the key, the motor will turn 3/4 of rev and stop due to hard compression. I can hand turn the engine past this sport sometimes and the engine will begin to turn over. Even...

Briggs & Stratton cranks but does not start [ 11 Answers ]

I have an MTD Yard Machine powered by a B&S 12.5 hp code 9311064E type 0154-01. The engine cranks slowly and in spurts approximating the four cycles. When I remove the spark plug the engine spins normally. I had the battery checked at a battery shop and it was pronounced fine after a load test. A...

View more questions Search