Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vanguard1965 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2017, 12:40 PM
    Why does carb flood with air filter on
    I have a Briggs & Stratton 20hp Vanguard model 351777 type 1036-E1 motor, recently started running very rich lots of black smoke and poor running. Stripped carb but could find nothing wrong, float and seat sound, shuts of fuel very well. Motor runs fine without air filter element,put element on and it struggles and stutters (you can smell the un-burnt fuel) whipping the element of again the engine recovers and runs fine but lots of pooled fuel visible in mouth of carb. My problem is the air filter is a brand new B&S unit. The old dirty filter causes the same problem. Interesting twist... I have a 2nd mower same engine, used filter from this machine on problem machine works fine (grass and crud on the sponge cover included) however the used and new filters from the problem machine cause exactly the same symptoms on the 2nd machine (flooding). I can't get my head around why one dirty filter is Ok and one isn't and why the brand new one is also a problem. Have I missed anything??
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2017, 06:42 PM
    Little bit of dishwashing soap and a few minutes at a sink and they would both be clean...

There is something you are overlooking somehow. Something blocking airflow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re Flood Insurance in a Flood zone [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend who is almost 90 years old . He had a reverse mortgage For some years (I don't understand it well) and now he pays taxes and Bills, etc. Our section of Brooklyn, NY got hit by Sandy, at least those Of us on either ends of the area but where he lives he's safe from any Of those...

The filter red light will not go off on refrigerator after filter is replaced [ 2 Answers ]

Maytag plus filter warning light will not go off when filter is replaced

Stop gas from coming out the filter side of the carb [ 1 Answers ]

A 5 hp craftsman tiller, when I start it up, it splatters gas out the filter side of the carb, then chokes down. What do I do? Mofel # 133402 type #0083-01 Code #951101ya

Oil fills carb and oil filter [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 15 hp briggs on a dixion rider after a half hour of mowing it starts to choke the mower out . Pull the filter off and its got oil in the filter and the carb.. I changed the breather filter and hose. Still dose it. Any thing else to check>?? Thanks..

How do you clean a permanent air filter? {it a Trostataic Air Filter}? [ 0 Answers ]

How do you clean a permanent air filter?

View more questions Search