Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thnguyen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2017, 03:50 PM
    Parts purchased
    I would like to know what is the correct way of posting parts purchased for future work orders. Eg. I would receive a deposit from customer for auto parts/ work order in June and I also purchased parts in June and July for this repair order . The repair order is not completed until August. What is the correct way of posting this transaction?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2017, 03:39 PM
    Since you speak of a job that is completed you will post the item to parts purchased as part of cost of sales.

If you want to have a more complex system you will have a work in progress account where you will accumulate costs and transfer these costs to cost of sales on completion
    Thnguyen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2017, 06:09 AM
    Thank you Paraclete. And if the job is not completed but parts are purchased for this job? How should I post it?Eg. Auto Parts purchased in July for a job that won't be completed until August 1. Should the parts still be posted as COGS- parts and then do an invoice for customer in August?These jobs are auto service jobs which usually completes within 30 days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lennox gas fireplace parts supplier and/or parts numbers? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 year old Lennox gas fireplace that needs a couple of parts that I cannot find even with Internet searches. It has a 24 v electronic controller and a 24 v wall switch; the gas flows but the unit does not automatically light. A tech manually lit the flame and the unit worked OK...

Car purchased on Installment [ 1 Answers ]

Unit Price = 48,500 Discount= 1,500 Down Payment= 9,400 Monthly Amortization= 1,786 in 24 months Kindly set journal entries upon acquisition, How much would be the Cost of the Assets?

Ian purchased a used car for 2500 how much tax did he pay? [ 4 Answers ]

How much did ian pay in taxes for buying a new car for 2500

Parts purchased [ 1 Answers ]

We acquire used lawn mowers, clean them, fix them and resell them. I'm not sure how to enter all of this in the books. How is it logged in when first acquired? While fixing them, how do I post the purchase of parts for the lawn mowers? Then How do I move them into inventory for resale after...

View more questions Search