Jul 10, 2017, 07:16 AM
    Waterproofing
    There is a leak where the house meets the trim. After scraping should I use
    Regular calking or is there something better to waterproof this area
    Attached Images

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 10, 2017, 09:19 AM
    Is that a painted concrete foundation, or a short wall, and does it stop right where the siding stops? Is there wood behind that row of siding?
    (I know you said 'where house meets trim' but I can't envision the whole house.)
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2017, 09:47 AM
    Joy that puffiness is where rain water blows into the tool room. It is stucco up
    The wood trim. They have used caulking in the past. I was wondering if maybe there is something better to use, maybe more waterproof protection.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 10, 2017, 10:29 AM
    I think you need another row of trim at the bottom, slid up behind and gently attached.
    Better might be 3" of aluminum flashing. You could work it behind there with a lot of caulk.
    Otherwise it won't matter if you use good silicone 40 year caulk, or epoxy paint.
    The trim should not have stopped where it did. Water always works its way behind the bottom row of siding.
    Whichever you do, scrape and paint with epoxy, or caulk, it will peel again, because you can't get to the critical area behind the trim.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2017, 10:42 AM
    +2 with what Joy said... good advice.
    I like flashing more than caulk alone...if backing paint lifts you have an entry point for water again (as it can wick upward a certain distance), and you don't want to goop up caulk that far because it looks like heck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Waterproofing grout? [ 7 Answers ]

I've installed ceramic tiles in the bathroom around the tub (all the way up to the ceiling) but what can I use to (somewhat) waterproof grout? While on the tiling, I also want to replace floor tiles, however, right now floor is a bit lower than the rest of the house upstairs so I wanted to tile...

I need help with waterproofing my new shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a custom shower, My house is on a concrete slab so I'm not sure if I need the orange waterproofing membrane. I plan on putting concrete backer board up, and putting the shower in. I'm posting a picture of my shower. I'm hoping the concrete backer board will be all I need. I'm also...

Garage Waterproofing [ 2 Answers ]

I need a black material that is waterproof that attaches to your garage foundations And it creates a waterproof seal. I've been hunting for days on this any help would be excellent.

Interior waterproofing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to find the correct way to waterproof my basement from the inside I do not know what the material is called that looks like corrugated fiberglass Installed on the lower part of the wall or how to find it A diagram would be very helpful: confused: Thank you

View more questions Search