Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marvelus49 Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2017, 03:14 AM
    Liability for tenants friends who visit
    NYS - I recently created an efficiency apartment and now rent to one person who is an excellent tenant. Do I need to notify my homeowners insurance company? I don't have a lease with her and she pays me cash every month. We do have a swimming pool which she enjoys using, however she does invite friends over to join her. We are concerned about our liability in the event of an accident - i.e. a deck chair breaking and causing injury. How much additional homeowner insurance will this cost?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 28, 2017, 05:44 AM
    First, you are asking for trouble without a lease. Make sure you get one in writing and make sure it is valid in your state. As a landlord, you should contact your insurance company to determine whether you can add to your current policy, or if you need a separate policy for your rental unit. I would add an inexpensive umbrella policy for a million dollars to protect yourself once you've met requirements for a tenant with your regular homeowner's policy.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2017, 12:28 PM
    I agree with Teacherjenn4, you do have liability for stupidity and/or accidents on your property by her guests. You have to contact your insurance agent to find out how much it will cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long should I wait to go visit my friends at my old school that my ex attends? [ 1 Answers ]

Just graduated this year and school just came back in 2 weeks ago but how long should I wait to go visit cause of course I'm going to want to visit my friends but my ex who has for some reason been having issues with me or something goes to the same school and I don't want her to think I'm stalking...

For UK family visit VISA, can I submit my friends accommodation documents? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I am working in UK with 12 months working VISA started from 25Nov2011. I am a married man and leaving in the accommodation which is rented by my colleague on his name with approval of his land lord on mail. My colleague is returned back to India and I didn't transferred that rent agreement on...

Denial to visit friends on property after eviction [ 1 Answers ]

In Kentucky, can the minor child of the family who has been evicted from an apartment property due to non-payment of rent be told that she cannot come on the property after invitation from friends who live there? This includes the permission of her friends' parents who are in good standing at the...

How do I evict tenants? I live in Florida, ex lives in Tennessee. Tenants are friends [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the story. My wife and I used to live in our house in Michigan. She moved to Tennessee first with the kids. I moved to Florida by myself. Upon leaving the home, she suggested I rent the property to friends of hers. I was getting the rent at first and then now they send it to her only. ...

View more questions Search