Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chrystlite212 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Mar 13, 2005, 06:36 PM
    Can puppies be depressed?
    Well,
    I have been having a lot of problems with my little Daschund in the past few days. He hides under the coach from my fiancée, and even though he still climbes in my lap, he won't let me pick him up. He seems really depressed. He won't eat sometimes. I called the breeder and let him know that the puppy seemed depressed, and he laughed at that idea, and said all puppies are distant at first. But it has been going on almost a weeks, and I think something is wrong. Right now, I feel that my best choice would be to return him to his breeder. But, I also don't want to seem rude, since I already bought him. If anyone one breeds, would you be mad if someone asked to return a puppy if they thought it wouldn't work? Can puppies get depressed? And am I doing the right thing or am I wrong? Please help, I hate this situatin, cause I really liked the little guy, I just don't think I should have rushed into getting a puppy yet. I wish I could apologize to the breeder, but I don't think he likes me very much right now.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2005, 07:51 PM
    You are having a very hard time now. I really don't think puppies get depressed. However they are very sensitive to the emotional state of anybody around them. The emotional wringer you are in, is spreading to him. I am not sure whether his hiding is due to your fear, or your fiancee's hostility. I do not know what would be best for you. I am afraid another home may be best for the puppy. No good breeder wants any of their dogs in an unsuitable home. Most will take the puppy back. If not, his best chance for a good home may be found at http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm. If getting your money back isn't essential, he may even do better with a rescue that loves Dachshunds, than the breeder. The rescue may even give you enough support to let you keep the puppy.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2005, 07:55 AM
    Puppies
    Hi,
    I really don't think puppies get depressed, either.
    I do know that they can "feel" what is around them. Just about any dog knows when something is wrong... from their owner's emotions. My housedog knows when I don't feel good, or my wife is having a bad breathing day. She is very attentive, loving, and won't try to play when this is going on.
    The puppy does sense your feelings; just like a baby crying, knowing it is being held, feeling your heartbeat. If you are calm, the baby will calm down, too... in normal circumstances. If you are an emotional wreck, the baby will be, too.
    Same for dogs.
    If you are not comfortable with the puppie, and anxious with it, please take it back to the breeder. Maybe some time in the future would be a better time to get a puppy.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2005, 12:37 AM
    Actually a puppy can be depressed, very depressed. Mainly due in fact to being stripped from their mother and put in a alien to them world. You can just try to play with him and just let him have freedom around the house and give him treats, take him around with you and take him to bed etc. he may mess somewhere but he's a PUPPY. But yeah some get depressed.
    Titsaii Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2005, 11:26 AM
    Hi
    Yes, I'm no expert and I couldn't agree more with dogs getting the same vibe as you do.. but if it helps, don't return the dog to its breeder, poor dog it'll only confuse him the more. You said you have taken to liking the dog, maybe give him/her all the love then, pay it more attention or something.. the dog will grow to love you back.. :)
    Shelley Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2005, 07:35 AM
    Hi there
    I really think that any dog can be depressed and that it is due to the owners demeanor. If you are depressed or anxious or regretting that you bought a new puppy without being COMPLETELY into him/commitment then I believe that the puppy will sense this from you and that's probably why he is shying away from you. Cause if you think about it that's what you are feeling also... sorry to say. I think its only natural to regret getting a dog when you are not completely ready because it is a lifelong commitment and your life will change. Don't worry, dogs enrich your life and can be the best thing that you have done for your happiness, even thou it may not feel like it in the beginning for some. Don't take him back cause I know that you WILL miss him! Just try not to think of all the hard work in caring for him but focus on the joy and companionship he will bring to you. Remember dogs have unconditional love! Good Luck!! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I help depressed boyfriend [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriends just been put on anti-depressants for the first time in over relationship (7months) he's been on them before but not around me. I want to help him and I do love him, I just want to know if there anything practical I can do apart form being there for him? :confused: or if anyone knows...

Please help me very depressed! [ 11 Answers ]

Believe this it's the short version but doesn't appear that way: Adult son moved away and did not come and say goodbye to me. He has never done this to me ever. And he has moved away from here many times before. I would not lend him money this time! He is a son from my first marriage. No other...

Depressed dog [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my dog for about 2 years, he is a labrador crossed with a staff, and is usually a happy dog. Recently my little bro bought a kitten, since the kitten has been in the house, the dog seems sort of depressed. I know it sounds stupid, but when I look at his, he just looks really sad. I've...

View more questions Search