Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rptrillet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2017, 07:10 PM
    The left break light does not work but the left turn signal does.
    I have a 2004 Ford Taurus. The left break light does not work but the left turn signal does. The right break & turn signal both work. The turn signal & break light are in one bulb. Moving back from that bulb there is short wire trunk the plugs into a much longer wire harness. I have switched the left & right short wire trunk and the problem remains on the left. So, I know it is not the bulb or that short wire trunk. I really don't understand how this is possible.

Thanks for you help in advance.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 29, 2017, 07:12 AM
    Sounds like maybe the Signalhead(Combination Switch)Turnsignal Switch. It has different names. Good Luck
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 29, 2017, 07:53 AM
    See if this video can help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8nxDefhI4M
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 30, 2017, 06:01 AM
    How do you know its not the bulb? Have you replaced it, they are usually dual filament bulbs on almost all cars (in fact ALL vehicles I have ever owned over 40 years). One filament handles turn signal/running lights, the other brake light. One filament usually burns out before the other.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2017, 09:25 AM
    When troubleshooting signals, I like to put on the 4 ways and walk around. If all the bulbs work. Bulbs and wiring are good. Hazzards are Fused Constant Voltage, and most? Turn Signals are Ignition Switched. If a bulb was out in the old days, that side would not flash, with modern Electronic Flashers, the Bulbs Flash fast.
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2017, 09:46 AM
    Could only be the Combination Switch.

Jul 15, 2017, 06:10 PM
    Sorry for the delay in my response. I just forgot I posted this. So "Signalhead(Combination Switch)Turnsignal Switch" where is it, how can I find it?

I'll replace it but I need to know where it is.

Thanks

Jul 15, 2017, 06:29 PM
    I found a video for replacing the multifunction switch. Apparentlythis is a known issue with these models. I have already ordered a replacementpart online at CarParts.com. After I replace the part I’ll post an update.Thanks for your help.

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=turn+sigle+switch+for+2004+ford+tauris&vi ew=detail&mid=B922154C0661C35BA8C6B922154C0661C35B A8C6&FORM=VIRE[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2017, 09:32 AM
    How are you doing with this? Thanks
    Videos sure are nice. Good Luck

Jul 25, 2017, 08:45 AM
    All is well that ends well. Because the problem was the break light I would never have thought the source was the Multifunction Switch. In fact I didn’t even know what a Multifunction Switch was. Thank you Stratmando,you were right on. The most difficulty I had was getting the ignition switch out. I just could not find that little bump that releases the switch. It took along time for me to find it and it was really frustrating but eventually I got a hex key on the right spot and out the switch came. The good news is that all the various functions the Multifunction Switch controls work and so do both breaklights. Thank you everyone for your contributions
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2017, 07:05 AM
    Thanks, Here's why it had to be the Switch. Stop and Turn use the same filament, since one worked and the other didn't, that said the wire to multifunction switch was intact. And with the other side working for both, that said fuses were good.
    Thanks for toughing it out. Good Job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 2003 honda accord ex and only the left side signal lights work? [ 1 Answers ]

The right side signal lights don't work both front and back... the indicator light on the dash doesn't light up either. When flip up the turn signal switch for the right signal nothing happens and when I turn the hazard lights on the right side signalnlights don't light up. I checked the bulbs and...

Left front Turn signal on Chevy Ventura Van not operating [ 0 Answers ]

Left front turn signal bulb will not flash. Checked for voltage in the light socket and did have 10 volts on the terminal during flashing. But the bulb will not flash when inserted.

Left turn at a permissive traffic signal intersection [ 5 Answers ]

"the following accident happened in lees summit, mo. I approached a three way intersection, two lanes east, two lanes west, one lane heading south. I was heading west, approached the intersection to turn left on, the traffic signals are permissive, I had a green circle, as I waited for traffic to...

Left groin & down the left leg pain, Hysterectomy didn't work [ 6 Answers ]

I had fibroids and cysts in my left ovaries. Since I had severe pain in the lower left stomach, groin and all the way down on my left leg. The pain is only prominent when I lie down. I am fine during the day, but when I lie down the pain is intense. It looks like one nerve or something. The Doctor...

2005 toyota Camry Left break light staying on [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just replaced the driver side tail light fixture and now for some reason the tail light seems to stay on all the time (when car is on). I bought the light assembly that came with its own harness. Is there any suggestion about how I can fix this? Thanks!

View more questions Search