Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r1967 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2017, 12:47 PM
    What is statue of limitation on writing checks on a closed checking account
    My brother wrote checks on a closed checking account back in 1992. One at JC Pennys for $30 and grocery store for $25... Then wrote a check for approx $600 to a building supply store to have some materials delivered to a job... but never received anything... he was planning on returning them for a refund... he moved out of state and now wants to move back home to southern Indiana... is there charges he could face at this time? Its been 25 Years ago.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 9, 2017, 01:23 PM
    Check fraud done on a spree might end up a criminal case, but usually is a civil case. I would guess that the $600 one was never taken to court because they didn't fall for it. That leaves the smaller ones. Those are anyone's guess. J C Penny might have, because they are a chain and can take dozens of them to court all at once. Once they get a judgment, there is no statute of limitations (SOL) after that. But judgments in civil cases are matters for the companies that got them, not the police.

I'm sure Indiana can't wait to welcome him, LOL.
    There is a lot more check checking hardware/software out there now. Little scanner that can run a check through it and get all the info needed on the spot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can they do in the state of Kentucky about checks on a closed account? [ 3 Answers ]

I got a phone called the other day telling me that in 2010 there was a check written to the company for under $50 on a closed account. I have no idea how this happened other then maybe my then boyfriend paid them when they came to the deliver while I was gone using the checks from the closed...

Writing a check on a closed account to MYSELF? [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, I know this sounds really bad and dishonest. But a couple of times, I have written a couple checks to my OPEN account to myself from an old CLOSED account (I still had the checkbook after I closed it) to avoid overdraft fees. For example, I have $50 in my account, I don't get paid for 2 more...

Statue of Limitation [ 2 Answers ]

What is the Statue of Limitation for creidt card debt ( in Collections) in Florida?

Closed Checking Account [ 3 Answers ]

What actions can I take against a person who wrote me a check on a closed account and refuse to pay me? If I take her to court, can I also make her pay court fees?

Writing checks on old account [ 2 Answers ]

I wrote some checks on a canceled account in the amount of $500.00 to $700.00. I've been told that anything under $1000.00 is a misdeamenor and over is a felony. Is that true? I have no criminal history and no outstanding warrants. What should I do?

View more questions Search