Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BabySosa1978 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2017, 10:13 PM
    Baby born while mother in custody
    How to get custody of my baby. Mom signed custody of child when she gave birth while in custody. I'm not on birth certificate and I had no knowledge of this birth. Mom says they tried to contact me but they couldn't locate me
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 3, 2017, 10:28 PM
    You will have to go through the family court system where you will be required to take a paternity test.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2017, 05:10 AM
    If I understand you, the mother was in jail when the baby was born. You were not listed on the birth certificate. The mother has signed over custody to someone else.

The first question is when was the child born, how old is s/he? Second question is was the child adopted or just placed in guardianship or in the foster care system? If placed in guardianship is the child with a relative? If adopted, how long ago did the adoption occur and was it with a relative or a third party? The answers to those questions will suggest the probability of your getting custody.

As to how, you start with the local Family Services agency or Family Courts. I would strongly recommend hiring an attorney to help you find your way through the bureaucracy.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 4, 2017, 08:08 AM
    Your first task is to prove you are the father of this child and have standing to attempt to gain custody. I highly recommend you hire or at least consult with a family law attorney to help you navigate this bureaucratic legal mess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daughter in-laws acts distant to mother-in-law after first baby is born [ 17 Answers ]

This is for my sister who is a new and first-time grandmother to a darling baby girl - 4 ths old now. She has always had a great relationship with her dauhter -in-law and especially while her daughter in-law was pregnant. Daughter -in-laws parents live out of state so all her family is her...

The mother of my sons baby says she got full custody of their unborn baby... we live I [ 7 Answers ]

My sons baby mama says she got full custody of their unborn baby. We live in ca. Is this even possible? No notice no court date no violence no restraining orders WTH.

Grandmother getting between mother and baby custody [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my husband just separated a few days ago and I moved in with friends of ours about 2 hours away. We have a 21 month old son. And we (me and my husband) decided that our son would rotate who he is staying with like every few weeks or something of that nature. Before I moved we were living...

Custody of a new born baby? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend just broke up with me and I am due July 2nd with his baby but he is mean and drinks and I don't think that he should have any rights how do I go through with this situation.:confused:

View more questions Search