Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Windows XP and 2000 on laptop
    I have both XP Home and 2000 Pro installed on my laptop. XP Home, doesn't work. When I start-up my laptop, I have a black screen with the option to select XP Home or 2000 Pro. If I select XP Home, I get a message "Cannot start disk because of computer hardware configuration problem". Can't I just remove XP Home from my computer? Also, would this be contributing to how slow it runs?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 17, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Windows 2000 will run separately from XP, so it shouldn't be contributing to how slow your computer runs.

To fix that you should do some maintenance, such as running antivirus, ad-adware, spybot, and ccleaner. Defrag the drive, delete temp files, and review the background services running and disable the unnecessary ones.

Normally in a dual boot situation, XP will be on one partition, 2000 will be on another. There will also be two boot.ini files, one of which loads up when you get the boot menu choice as you described.

See here for help on accessing the boot.ini file.

Open boot.ini file from the w2k partition, and then open the one from the XP home partition.

If the XP Home boot.ini has two entries, then its okay. Leave it. (we'll delete it later).

If the W2K boot.ini has two entries, then delete the windows xp entry, and ensure default= to the W2K partition. Save.

Run "diskmgmt.msc" at the run command prompt. Look for the XP partition and delete it. MAKE SURE YOU DELETE THE RIGHT PARTITION!

Hide the protected files again.

Reboot, and it should now automatically boot into Windows 2000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows 2000 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a windows 2000 pro. It doesn't seem to be defragmenting. My space filled up cosiderable in a short amount of time. I have ran norton's & ewido and haven't found a virus. Help please, Thanks, Little evil:(

Downgrade windows 2003 server to windows 2000 server procedure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. Recently I planned to buy a server with windows 2k server OS. Unfortunately I was told that win 2k server will be no longer in support at 2007.:confused: What happen is that the application I need to run is under win 2k server only, can anyone advise me how to perform the downgrade...

Windows 2000 [ 2 Answers ]

Can I install windows 2000 over windows ME without losing any of my programs or information? Thanks

Windows xp or 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I recently signed up for a class for windows 2000 professional. When I arrived for the class it was for XP professional. I am pursuing a MCSA and both are good for the os portion. However I am wondering if I would be better off studying 2000 instead?

View more questions Search