Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maggiejo18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2017, 05:45 PM
    There is a lean on my mothers estate can I sell one of her properties for cash
    My mom passed away and there is a lean on her estate. She owns property in AZ that I have been offered cash for... can I sell it? I am the executor or her estate.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 26, 2017, 05:50 PM
    You must satisfy the lien first.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2017, 06:43 PM
    Are you going to give the money from the sale to the person with the lien.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 26, 2017, 07:36 PM
    You can sell it the same as she could, but the lien holder must get paid if this is the same property. Legal possession cannot transfer until it does. Anything else would be illegal, and you would be liable. Consult an attorney.

Does the cash buyer know of the lien? You have a responsibility to tell him.

Here is a very informative article.

http://www.bigstatehomebuyers.com/ca...m-home-buyers/
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 27, 2017, 11:27 AM
    There are unscrupulous sellers who would figure out how to take his cash and saddle him with the lien.
    There are unscrupulous buyers who do nothing but look for death notices and scam the heirs out of properties. They are the ones who already know there is a lien!

Don't do this without a RE lawyer!

(I'm looking for a small AZ home...)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2017, 03:19 PM
    Is the lien against the estate or against specific property? This is important. Will the sale of the property satisfy the lien (not lean)? You certainly can sell the property. However, if the lien is against the estate as a whole, then the proceeds of the sale needs to be applied to creditors of the estate first.

If you don't know how lien is spelled, you really need legal help in administering the estate.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 28, 2017, 02:54 PM
    The short answer is Yes. You can sell the property. But in doing so it should pass through escrow and in escrow and liens against the property wll be paid out until all funds are exhausted. If there are left over funds then you would stand to collect those monies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I find out what properties, cash someone has inherited? [ 9 Answers ]

Is it possible to find out how much money a person living in the state of CA has inherited from the death of both parents? This person is hiding income claiming poverty to the court :rolleyes:and has receive a home and good sums of money, I just wondered if I could find out how much?

I have come across 4 paintings in my late mothers estate [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not too sure if it is worth much or anything at all but nothing ventured nothing gained. The surface of these works are very silky in touch and have a raised feel to them giving a 3D sort of look. I would welcome any feedback or advice PDS24649449

My Brother who is excutive of my mothers will wants to sell her house [ 2 Answers ]

Out from under me. I live in CT and I have been living in my mothers duplex house which was left to the 3 of her children 2 years ago when she passed. My sister is in a nurseing home and her 1/3 of the sale of this house will already go to the state since her medicare ran out. She wants no part of...

Registering to sell REO properties [ 1 Answers ]

How do I as an agent register with the banks to list their REO properties?

Innheiritance in mothers estate [ 2 Answers ]

:( my husbands mother passed away while he is in prison and now his brother's and sisters do not want him to have any of the inheiitance in the land... they feel he does not need it and him in prison and put me off the land a year after she passed away... his twin brother is taking everything so...

View more questions Search