Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lconklin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2017, 10:22 AM
    Can you transform a half done addition into a large deck with roof
    I have an addition on the back of my house. I have the floor, roof and sides up. But... the contractor has done such a poor job that it leaks and will not pass code. Needless to say he is no longer around. I have asked other contractors and they say about $8k to finish. Already put in over $6k it is 15x16. Is it feasible to take the walls down, leave the roof and brace it on 4 corners and make a large deck out of it

I need help please
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 26, 2017, 11:56 AM
    I cannot imagine a professional worth his salt that wouldn't tear down the poor structure and start new. I am confident you have been told this because of warranty issues with material and labor.

Can you save by demolishing and scraping the old stuff (salvage some of it maybe?). Sorry you got stuck but I doubt you can expect to transform a bad job into a good one without paying more.

What have your contractors said about your idea? How many have you gotten estimates from? Try at least 3 to get a good idea.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 26, 2017, 01:12 PM
    As long at the place where it connects to your house isn't going to be prone to water damage and rot. Especially the edge of the roof. You don't say how both roofs run into each other.
    and
    Make sure your four corners, even if braced, can carry the load based on their size and distance from each other.
    and
    What will you do about the framing that isn't weather resistant?
    and
    What a shame! What about it besides leaking is shoddy? And what about it makes it leak?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2017, 05:13 PM
    Most things are "feasible". Whether practical and cost effective is another question. What are the floor joists made of? If not pressure treated, don't make a deck, it will be eaten up in a couple of years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 5' addition going onto my existing deck. How do I brace this with angel supp [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 12' X 20" existing deck. I want to add another 5' to it. I don't want to dig a hole for 4x4's I want to put 2x6's at an angle 4' out to suport the 5' addition

How far from a septic tank can I locate sona tubes for a deck and an addition in mass [ 6 Answers ]

I want to put an addition and deck on my house and want to know if there is any laws as to how close the sona tubes can be to the septic tank?

Cantilevered Deck/addition. [ 5 Answers ]

OK,I have a 6' (cantilever)extension on the deck with the 2X8's hanging out another 12"(with a tapered corner on the base for decorative),I want to extend the deck out about 12' further. Knowing the weight will be much greater with the new 12' extension I will need to support the joint where I...

Building my own roof trusses for room addition. [ 2 Answers ]

What type of scissor roof truss construction would be best for a cathedral ceiling on a 4\12 pitch with a 22' span? Or would parallel scissor method be best for this pitch roof?

A deck on a Condo roof. [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a 3rd floor condo in 1998, that is adjacent to a 2 floor condo. My condo when I purchased it came with a deck that was installed in 1989. In sits on top of the 2 storie condo, I have exclusive use to the deck and it is enclosed.It has a wrap around railing that sits 4 ft high and...

View more questions Search