Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 25, 2017, 09:19 PM
    MORE BREAKING NEWS

A federal judge has just blocked Trump from with holding federal money to so called sanctuary cities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.0909c25dbf37

Why doesn't he just make congress do their job and pass a law?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2017, 04:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    MORE BREAKING NEWS

A federal judge has just blocked Trump from with holding federal money to so called sanctuary cities.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.0909c25dbf37

Because Trump does not understand how the Federal Government works. He believes he is a corporate CEO and he can do anything he wants. He doesn't understand checks and Balances, he doesn't understand that there are 3 branches of government each with their own powers and limitations. In other words he doesn't understand the Constitution he swore to uphold.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2017, 06:29 AM
    Because there are already laws that were not being enforced ;or actively obstructed with at the local level.

Dems are back to their old antebellum ways thinking that they can nullify the law when they don't like it .
    Expert

Apr 26, 2017, 07:29 AM
    It's not nullification when you as a state must prioritize how you use your own resources. Nor out of bounds when you challenge executive authority over those resources. Last I checked even those sanctuary cities were comply with the federal law and aiding ICE even if they won't stop and frisk and detain the Hispanics to check for proof of citizenship like Herr Donald wants them too.

No worries though there won't be any federal money left after Trump and his corporate cronies pilfer the treasury yet again with his tax cuts for themselves.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2017, 09:03 AM
    Congress already passed immigration laws that give the Presidency broad powers enforcing immigration law. .... ie ;8 U.S.C. §1182 (f) to suspend the entry of any aliens or class of aliens into the U.S. if he believes it “would be detrimental to the interests of the United States.”

8 U.S.C. §1373 prohibits states and local jurisdictions from preventing their law enforcement officials from exchanging information with federal officials on the citizenship status of individuals they have arrested or detained. SCOTUS upheld this in 2012 (see Arizona v US) .Sec. 1373 doesn’t force local law enforcement officials to notify federal officials when they detain an illegal alien; But it clearly says that local governments can’t ban law enforcement officials from doing so (which San Francisco and other sanctuary cities do in their codes ) .

This is no different than states losing a portion of their highway funds if they lower the drinking age below 21. (South Dakota v Dole) . Sessions is saying that if a state or local government doesn't cooperate with federal law enforcement regarding immigration then they lose out on Justice Dept discretionary grants . Nothing close to losing highway funds ;or even worse the Obamacare provision that bribed states with Medicaid funds if they towed the line .As I recall ,you were in favor of that type of coercion by the Federal Government then.
    Expert

Apr 26, 2017, 10:46 AM
    Yes I was and still am since as it turned out SCOTUS said the state compliance for Medicaid funding was OPTIONAL not mandatory.

We may get to see what SCOTUS rules on Trump's stuff.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2017, 01:30 PM
    Carrots and sticks anyway you spin it ..... Rewards or penalties .
    Expert

Apr 26, 2017, 01:43 PM
    Both sides use carrots and sticks but we wait to see what SCOTUS and Trumps new tiebreaker says.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2017, 10:52 PM
    All right now we have the official list of achievements in the first 100 days, pretty impressive; he can do all of this with no legislation

He bombed Syria
    He bombed Afghanistan
    He bombed Yemen
    He upset NK

He announced many things and signed many executive orders and pieces of legislation that just happened to be hanging around

He met many world leaders, played many rounds of golf, racked up more air miles than anyone without leaving the country

He stuffed up trade treaties, bought some F35

He addressed the Senators to pull them into line

I expect this is progress, but no progress on health care, the wall, friendship with Russia
    Expert

Apr 28, 2017, 06:14 AM
    Don't be so distracted Clete. I have been telling you over and over again what Trump was really about, and he has done nothing to change that so please pay attention this is your final warning.

Take it to the bank!
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2017, 01:13 PM
    friendship with Russia ? 100 days ago everyone was calling him Putin's poodle. lol.
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2017, 04:05 PM
    Now if only Vlad would get with the program
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2017, 04:39 PM
    Trump's achievement ? Evita isn't President
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2017, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Trump's achievement ? Evita isn't President
    Yes, Tom, that could be considered the achievement of the decade, your economy is being muscled into activity and who knows he may actually managed to reform your taxation system

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trump FAKE threatened N Korea with a "very powerful" Armada. But there was NO armada [ 25 Answers ]

Hello: Turns out, our aircraft carrier was 3,500 miles away from where Trump and his minions said it was.. My bet is, North Korea WASN'T faked out.. Does THIS disturb you as much as it does me?? excon PS> You KNOW he's gonna get us all KILLED, don't you???

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

"plumber grade" vs "big box" vs "online" fixtures... [ 5 Answers ]

I have heard/read that there is a difference in the part quality, etc when purchasing faucets and plumbing parts from a showroom vs big box retailers vs online. Even if they are the same manufacturer part number? Are the big box and online parts less durable/made of cheaper components that the...

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search