Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tailaw91 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2017, 11:29 AM
    Determinate vs. Indeterminate Sentence
    Someone I know was sentenced for a felony in Idaho with 2 years penitentiary determinate & 2 years penitentiary indeterminate, also 2 years supervised probation. I thought this meant she has to do a MINIMUM of 2 years in the state pen in Boise, but she is still out & about (it's been a month or two since sentencing). Can they cancel each other out & she only has to serve probation? She's a problem & I would really like to know, if someone could tell me. Thank you!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2017, 02:00 PM
    Determinate is a fixed sentence-2 years. Indeterminate is 2 to 5 years. Not sure you would have 2 separate sentences unless there were 2 crimes and then 1 could follow the other. This is not uncommon with crimes in different states. For example, if you rob a store in State X and then another in State Y, your conduct can be treated as two (or more) separate criminal acts if that conduct violated the laws of more than one state. Furthermore, if that conduct was a federal offense, you may be tried and convicted in both a state and federal court. This is known as the "dual sovereignty doctrine," and it is an exception to the "Double Jeopardy Clause" of the U.S. Constitution. This person may be free on bond, appealing the sentence, based on the discretion of the state court.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2017, 08:33 AM
    Hello t:

Given the words you used, I can't tell what it means.. My GUESS is the two sentences run concurrent, meaning she'll do two years with time off for good behavior. There are several reasons why she might not be in custody.. She could be out on bond pending an appeal.. She might have been granted permission to self report.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does a 3 year fixed sentence 2 year indeterminate in Idaho actually mean? [ 3 Answers ]

My family is from Iowa so we are all unaware of Idaho state laws and have some questions. My brother just recently got sentenced on two counts of video voyeurism in Idaho this week. The judge gave him three years fixed and two years indeterminate. The judge then retained jurisdiction for 365 days....

Determinate matrices [ 1 Answers ]

I know how to compute determinants its not very difficult but I get confused when there are weird notations thrown in. So I'm not exactly sure on this question computer det(A-λI) for this linear system x_1 + 2x_2 = λx_1 2x_1 + x_2 = λx_2 I know that the characteristic equation is λ^2 -...

View more questions Search