Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pompopei Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2017, 08:46 AM
    How to sell jointly owned property under conflict?
    I own a condo as tenant in common with someone else in equal shares. No joint ownership agreement was signed at purchase time. I now want to sell the condo and recover my share. How can I force a sale if the other tenant in common does not want to sell her part or buy mine? I live in the state of Maryland, if that has any bearing on the answer. I have no mortgage on my share of the property but the other tenant does and I am a cosigner under her loan. Not a pretty situation. I appreciate any advice on how to get out of this pickle. Thanks Pompopei
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 13, 2017, 10:03 AM
    I take it you are a 50% owner. As a tenant in common you are free to sell your share, if you can find a buyer for 50% of the condo. This might be feasible if the condo is in a resort area where the owners use the property as a vacation home. But if there's no market for 50% ownership of your condo then you will have to take your partner to court to force a sale.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 13, 2017, 11:26 AM
    You could be asking for trouble by selling just your 50% without her agreement. You are advised to force the sale in court, which she cannot win against, but it still is best to do it that way, especially as you co-signed her loan, and she doesn't want to sell! And if she lives there - an absolute must.

There's also the matter of what would happen if she decides to stop paying the mortgage.... it's now on you.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2017, 02:41 PM
    WOW, why would you cosign for another persons mortgage? All they have to do is walk and you are stuck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 13, 2017, 06:15 PM
    As noted, you may sell your share of the property to someone, who will then be a 50 percent tenant. You may explain to the other party that you may do this, and that they may be owner in common with someone they do not approve of, and would have no say.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2017, 10:28 AM
    Hello P:

You SAY she won't sell.. But, that only means you haven't offered enough.. Yeah, I KNOW you don't wanna pay MORE than your half is worth, but you're in TROUBLE. You made a mistake, and mistakes are costly..

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Placing a lien on jointly owned property. [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible or advisable to place a lien on your own jointly owned property to block the co-owner from trying to sell it?

Settling Jointly Owned/Inherited Property [ 12 Answers ]

Before dying last year, my Dad had put his home and property (25 acres in NY) in the names of his five adult children -- we now own it. My brother, who is also the executor, wants to keep some of the property (including the house) for sentimental reasons. He'd like to survey and divide off the...

Jointly owned property [ 2 Answers ]

I have a jointly owned property with an ex girlfriend. She does not live in the house, I do. I plan on moving out in April and having my parents move in and live here for free. Can my ex do anything to forcibly kick them out if she wants to.

Jointly owned property [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a house and put my then girlfriend's name on it as well (first mistake). We thought we were going to get married but that obviously did not happen. I bought the house for $30,000 and put in another $15-20 thousand of my own money. She did not put any money towards the house. Her brother...

Jointly owned property [ 3 Answers ]

My brother in law and mother lived together for approx 9 yrs. She bought the house and it was in her name and she had a mortgage on it. She passed away and in the will the property was to be divided equally among the three sons. Before the estate was settled it was agreed upon that the brother...

View more questions Search