Ask
    OUTLAWZRIDA98 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2017, 10:42 PM
    Someone claimed my son
    How do I go about finding out who claimed my child on their income taxes
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 12, 2017, 03:46 AM
    You don't. This is a consequence of electronic filing. Whoever files first get the claim and prevents anyone else from electronically filing claiming the same dependent.
    You now have to file by mail and let the IRS sort it out.

They will not tell you who filed, but will review the returns and determine who was entitled to claim the child. So you should include documentation with your return.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 12, 2017, 06:33 AM
    One of the rules for claiming a child is who physically housed him for at least half the year. (1/1/16 - 12/31/16 in this case)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone claimed my son on taxes, how do I find out if they claimed in prior years? [ 5 Answers ]

Since I have been a student for the past five years there was no need to file. I was trying to file this year for 2012 and found out someone claimed my son with out consent. I have to mail in my return, but I am wondering how do I find out if someone has claimed him in prior years where I do not...

My mom claimed my son... [ 0 Answers ]

I was told my son could not be claimed on taxes as a dependent since he was receiving SSI for Cancer... My question to everyone in cyber land is... My mother claimed my son, without my knowledge, on her taxes from 2003 until 2010 as a dependent the entire time WE were receiving SSI benefits for...

I need to know if someone claimed my son [ 3 Answers ]

Couled some one tell me if someone claimed my son on there taxes. {name deleted}

Who claimed my son? [ 2 Answers ]

I just want to know who could give me the answers to who claimed my son on their taxes? I didn't work last year because I was in school fulltime and I asked a family member to claim my son on her taxes and she waited until it was too late to ask anyone to claim my son to tell me that she didn't...

Some one claimed my son [ 1 Answers ]

I have been living with my fiancée since my son was a newborn, but this year when he tried to claim my son on his income tax it was denied because some one else had claimed him. I went to the IRS website and there is a form you can fill out stating someone committed tax fraud--- but you have to...

View more questions Search