Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matuzju Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2017, 04:24 PM
    Fireplace separating from wall - what could be the cause
    I have a double fireplace one opening is in the living room the other in the den . The fireplace in the den appears to be separating from the wall - Any thoughts as to why this would be?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 5, 2017, 05:04 PM
    Houses rack, shift, settle. So do fireplaces. Depends a lot on age, materials, foundation type, soil type, and how the whole house was constructed. You don't even say what type of fireplace it is, brick from base of basement to roof, or firebox, or what. Call 2 contractors to come look.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2017, 05:57 PM
    On a slab? On a crawl or basement?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I fix a basement wall and floor that are separating [ 3 Answers ]

We had gotten a sub-pump put in our basement after having years of floods my late husband had finally listen to me before he died. But after the pump was install a corner of the basement that never showed any leaks, but the floor is showing mud and water leaking in my basement floor and I noticed...

Masonry fireplace separating from chimney [ 6 Answers ]

Our home has a wood-burning fireplace. We used it up until we discovered that it was falling forward (mantel level on down) from the wall at the point where it meets the actual chimney. Mantel height is apart about 2 inches, V's down from there. The cement is brittle & crumbling where its come...

I have a humming sound coming from an inner wall separating the bedroom from the bath [ 1 Answers ]

I have a humming sound that comes from an inside wall separating my bathroom from the living room. You can only hear it on the bathroom side. Is this dangerous? What could it be?

Cinder block wall separating [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy We have an old workshop built completely from cinder blocks. The concrete foundation has shifted and so the back wall, which is 5o feet long, has started to separate from itself. There is a 'crack' starting from the top of one corner and continuing about half the wall traveling down to he...

Painting wall with fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

My question is this. Someone suggested to me that the wall in my recroom should be painted a different colour than the rest of the room. Any suggestions on the colour. Should it be brighter, darker, lighter than the rest of the green on the recroom walls? Thanks Me

View more questions Search