Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2017, 03:29 PM
    Forgot to fill line 75 on 1040, do I file an amended return?
    Hello,

I missed filling line 75 on form 1040 (the amount overpaid by me). However, I did fill line 76 (a) (the amount from line 75, I wanted to be refunded) with the amount that should have gone on line 75.

Will IRS be able to figure out that I am looking for a return or do I need to file an amended return? Please let me know.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 1, 2017, 03:33 PM
    No amendment is needed. The IRS WILL figure it out!
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2017, 03:39 PM
    Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 1, 2017, 07:00 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I file an amended Ohio tax return for wrong w2 information? [ 1 Answers ]

I e-filed my Ohio state taxes and the federal adjusted gross income from my federal return which is what my taxes are figured from is the right amount. I have multiple w2's to add up to that gross amount. When listing each w2 separately, I wrote a wrong number on one of them which makes the 3 add...

What happens if a US citizen an a non-resident file a 1040 joint return [ 3 Answers ]

For the last two years I have file a joint tax return with my non-resident spouse, without making a declaration have her treated as a resident for tax perposes. Then today, I stumbled across the link: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0, id=96734,00.html where I...

ITIN Rejected and now want to file amended return. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B for past 3 years and got married last September 2007 and my wife is on H4. She did not have ITIN when I filed for return in April 2008 and had to file as Single and could not claim her as dependent (as advised by my Tax Consultant). I filed ITIN for my wife and yesterday I...

Should I file amended return, or not? [ 2 Answers ]

Last year, on my taxes I screwed up BIG TIME, and filed my unearned income (unemployment), quite by accident, under my home based, cash-earned income. I subsequently received a letter stating that as a result of this I now owed them 1800$. I lost my 20 year old son right before I got that letter,...

File Amended Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I e-filed 1040EZ instead of 1040NR. I later found out that the efiling service I used does not have 1040 NR. Can I efile 1040X and 1040NR through another site? Is it possible to mail in the amended forms, or should I efile it because I efiled 1040EZ? Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search