Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeessi98 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Is that possible play Nintendo Wii in America if I buy it at Japan?
    My friend who lives in Japan, she will visit me on May.
    If I buy a Wii console by Japan version, Is US Wii game title works at Wii Japan console?
    And, also Wii console hardware can choose a language? I mean, is Japan wii console same as American one?

Thank you.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2007, 08:09 AM
    The consloes are the same and the games will work but I'm not sure the consoles will work in america because of difference in electrical systems(if there is any I don't know) and plug sockets I'd check those out first
    jeessi98 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Thank you so much, albear.
    I know the plug sockets are same between America and Japan. They are both 110v.
    Like this -> l l
    So, you mean, if plug sockets are same, it will work in America? Right? Game and consoles both..
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 06:20 AM
    The games should work on any console no matter where you bought it, but my main concern is that the american electrical system will short circuit the wii so id ask nintendo about it basically
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2007, 06:23 AM
    I don't think the Wii is region free. You might have trouble playing American Wii games on a Japanese console.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Maybe, I'm sure they do but just in case phone and ask nintendo or your local game store to see if they know
    Zabuza16 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Few american games will work on the japenese WII (exemple: I've got an european PS2 and some games that imported won't cause my PS2 was made for translated games)
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 10:42 AM
    First party games (games made by Nintendo directly) are region free but third party game developers are left to choose for themselves.

So basically you may end up being able to play less than half of the games released depending how these developers side

Nintendo Wii games region-free! Third-parties decide if they lock it or not - videogamesblogger.com:
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 10:47 AM
    This is an old interview before the console was released. Based off one woman who didn't get the memo that the Wii is entirely region locked.

The Wii is NOT region free. At all. Not even first party games.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Hi Capuchin,

I should have checked Wiki first, Wii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , it says the console supports region coding so presumably they will and are using it. Of course, no reason you can't add a mod chip in this case!
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Oh yes, of course it can be modded to get rid of the region encoding, but that sometimes makes things stop working :)
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 12:27 PM
    I have one and I have a mii!! Woooo!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Geography on Japan [ 3 Answers ]

Tell me 5 famous landmarks in Japan. Eg: mt.fuji Tokyo tower :confused:

Nintendo wii to router [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect nintendo wii to the router?

Reconfiguring my router for the Nintendo Wii [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys, I have recently bought an Nintendo wii and I keep getting an error that it cannot connect. After browsing a few help sites for the Wii I discovered that I have to switch my router into mixed (whatever that means) I have already tried to put 192.168.1.1 in my internet explorer, but he...

What if Japan struck first? [ 15 Answers ]

What would have happened if Japan had struck with an atomic bomb first? I have difficulty visualizing the USA giving up unconditionally.

Japan [ 1 Answers ]

In Japan's Shoguns Reject the West, both historians agree that the shoguns closed Japan to the west: A - To ensure loyalty and maintain the security of the regime. B - To bolster the economy for Japan's merchants. C - To keep out Christianity. D - Fo Fear of immoral influences.

View more questions Search