Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beezo1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Ceiling fan wiring
    I recently purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with a remote. My home is brand new and I had the rooms wired for future ceiling fan installation. The existing lights operate on a dimmer switch. There is a toggle switch that is for the future fan installation. When I removed the existing light the connections are white to white, red to black and green to ground. There is an extra black wire that is not connected so I assume this is for the ceiling fan. I would like to have the fan operate off that switch (by remote when the switch is on) and the light of the ceiling fan to operate off the dimmer switch (that the original light operated from) How do I do this?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2007, 03:56 PM
    You cant, unless your ceiling fan can be used without the remote. Generally speaking remote fans can only be controlled by the remote and not by any other wall switches, other than just killing power.

Does the fan have pullchains?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a ceiling fan [ 8 Answers ]

Changing a existing fan with 2 switches one for light and one for fan. Ceiling wires are black, red ,white ,ground. New fan has black,white,ground.not sure how to wire it up.:confused:

Ceiling fan wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a outdoor ceiling fan with Light kit (black, white & blue wiring coming from fan) From my ceiling box I have three blacks and three white wires along with the grounds. Need help on how to connect the fan wiring to the ceiling box. Thanks!

Old wiring for ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. We are wanting to install a newer ceiling fan in our 60 year old house. We currently have an old ceiling fan, took it down, and there are more wires than on our newer fan. Not sure how to hook this up. The wires coming out of the ceiling are as follows: 1 green (ground I think) 2 red 1 white...

Ceiling fan wiring [ 10 Answers ]

I bought a new ceiling fan to replace an existing one. (the existing one worked, I just didn't like the way it looked). There's only 2 wires from the ceiling. The new ceiling fan has four wires: green, black, white, and one combo black/white. The light works as long as I connect the combo...

Ceiling fan wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan, I think it’s make by Hunter. We had some ceiling painting done and the painters broke the fan reversing switch pull chain, and then they made matters worse by removing the switch without marking the wires. This fan's reverse switch has a pull chain, the first pull turns...

View more questions Search