Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waffle22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Don't understand usb2 and external harddrives 0.o
    Hey all~
    I got a 80gig external hard drive usb2.
    I'm no expert at stuff like this... but I figured that my computer doesn't have a usb2 port, so I bought a pci card with usb2 ports and shoved it into the slots in my motherboard.

Yet when I connect my external hard drive, it still says this device can perfrom faster if you connect it to a usb2 port. Also when I tried to transfer stuff over, it's slow as hell =(

No idea what going... any advice would be awesomly appreciated. =]
    BenReilly Posts: 55, Reputation: 6

May 9, 2007, 02:01 AM
    On Windows XP you need SP2 installed otherwise you can't use USB2 even the vendor driver which came with your card won't help you. Check the Service Pack and repost if that's not the problem.
    waffle22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 03:47 AM
    Hey~ Cheers for the reply
    Yeah I do have SP2 installed... o.0
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 9, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Are you plugging the drive into one of the slots on the PCI card? Just adding a card doesn't affect the all your USB slots. The original slots will still be USB 1.1.

If you are using a slot on the card, then I would check with the card manufacturer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't understand him. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Maybe I can get some insight here. I am a 28 year old dating a 32 (divorced of 3 years) man who has a 8 year old daughter. We have been dating for about 7 months. Became serious in the last 3 months. Back in February we decided we were ready to take the next step and move in with each other....

I don't understand her. [ 10 Answers ]

I'am staying with my sister in law because her parents died, she is 19 she does not listen To me or her brother, my husband. She is dating people who are married ,she is the biggest liar I have ever met, she buys the clothes that I;m buying, she changes her hairstyle as same as mine. Sometimes she...

I don't understand her [ 6 Answers ]

:( I don't understand why she does this to me every time I think she is telling the truth there is always a lie behind it and I don't understand why she does this because ill brake up with her then go out with someone else and then she says I love you and I want you but then when I go back to her...

I don't understand this [ 7 Answers ]

1) zinc+ lead(2) nitrate yield zinc nitrate + lead 2) sodium phosphate + calcium chloride yield calcium phosphate + sodium chloride 3) aluminmum +hydrochloric acid yield aluminum chloride + hydrogen gas 4) calcium hydroxide + phosphoric acid yield calcuim phosphate + water 5) copper + sulfuric...

I don't understand [ 3 Answers ]

About 8 months ago I met someone that I became very interested in. This person also showed interest,I met him at my church. He is on a church mission right now in my town ,he can not date or get involved right now. He will be done with his mission in about 10 more months and he told me he hopes I...

View more questions Search